13 Easy & Delicious Post Workout Smoothie Recipes
You’ve already done all the hard work in the gym. Now, it’s time to provide your body with the building blocks needed to repair and grow. Whether it’s to save time or simply because you enjoy the taste, consuming a post workout smoothie recipe that contains wholesome ingredients can put you on the right path to recovery. Not only will this help you meet your macronutrient goals, but it will also give you the chance to spice things up with unique flavor combinations.
Below, we’ve rounded up our favorite delicious (and nutritious!) post workout shake recipe ideas for you to try. As an added bonus, by the time you power up your high-speed blender, you’ll be able to whip up your next smoothie with a dash of extra knowledge about the benefits of post-workout nutrition, too.
1. Gut-Friendly Collagen Smoothie Recipe
Looking for a post workout shake recipe with some added support for your digestive system? Not only does this gut-friendly smoothie contain collagen protein, but it also has health-supportive ingredients like chia seeds (a good source of quality fats), ginger (which has antioxidant properties and may help support a healthy inflammatory response) and kefir, a fermented milk drink that provides probiotic support.†
2. Berry Matcha Smoothie
The use of frozen berries in this after workout smoothie serves multiple purposes. First, a mixture of raspberries, strawberries and blueberries provides a range of necessary vitamins and minerals. And when combined with avocado (a terrific source of quality fats), these frozen morsels of fruity goodness create a creamy texture that may prove too thick for a straw.
Bulletproof tip: Since this recipe contains Bulletproof Vanilla Bean Energy Collagen Protein, it’s best suited as a morning or early daytime workout recovery shake.†
3. Low-Carb Swirled Blueberry Vanilla Smoothie
Keto dieters in search of a post workout shake recipe should consider giving this low-carb, swirly smoothie a try. While it may seem odd to combine cauliflower and blueberries, your body will thank you later! Cauliflower comes in clutch with much-needed fiber and antioxidants. Blueberries bring sweetness without the need for added sugar. And if you really want to take this collagen protein smoothie to the next level, you can add a half-teaspoon of ashwagandha powder, an adaptogenic herb that helps your body manage occasional stress and nervous tension.†
4. Keto Iced Coffee Protein Shake
Since this coffee-infused post workout shake recipe contains caffeine, it may not be the ideal choice if you train later in the day (our recommended caffeine cutoff is 2 p.m.). But if your schedule calls for working out early enough, you can’t go wrong with a keto-friendly iced coffee shake that contains collagen protein and quality fats from coconut milk and avocado.
5. Rainbow Smoothie Recipe
A bold, colorful beverage with lovely layers and a long list of health-supportive ingredients, this Pride Month-inspired post workout smoothie recipe includes a variety of fresh fruits and veggies that will give your body the micronutrients it needs. Full-fat Greek yogurt pairs with collagen and our signature Bulletproof Brain Octane C8 MCT Oil to round out these colorful macros.
6. Chocolate Shake With Collagen Protein
Chocolate lovers will rejoice when they sip on this creamy, dreamy collagen protein shake that provides the building blocks for healthy hair, skin and nails thanks to the addition of collagen protein. However, the most surprising part about this dessert-like post workout shake recipe is how it gets its unmistakable mouthfeel: frozen cauliflower (yep, we went there again!). Besides helping with the texture, this ingredient also adds fiber and essential post-gym micronutrients.†
7. Protein-Packed Sweet Potato Smoothie
Newsflash: This could be the best post workout smoothie for those looking to replenish their glycogen stores. Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of carbohydrates that taste great (especially when oven-roasted) and provide micro- and phytonutrients. So even though they may be viewed as more of a savory option, don’t be afraid to sip them in this protein-packed sweet potato offering.†
8. Triple Chocolate Cherry Protein Shake
Delectable. Divine. Delicious.
All three adjectives perfectly sum up one of those smoothies to make after a workout that seems almost too good to be true. But probiotic-providing kefir, antioxidant-containing dark chocolate and Vitamin C-containing cherries (along with collagen protein) make this cherry-meets-chocolate post workout shake recipe an easy way to feel like you’re indulging.†
9. Creamy Coconut and Avocado Smoothie
From gut-supportive ginger to quality fat sources like avocado and coconut yogurt, this avocado-infused post workout recovery smoothie recipe has a wide range of beneficial ingredients. Thanks to its fiber content, this creamy concoction only contains 4.3 grams of net carbs. And with 20.1 grams of fat per serving, this coconut and avocado smoothie definitely falls into the keto-friendly category.
10. Keto Green Lemon Smoothie
Not in the mood for something sweet after you work up a sweat? Throw your tastebuds a curveball with this bright and zingy post workout smoothie, which is filled with fresh produce. From nutrient-dense spinach leaves to a quality fat source like avocado, your body will benefit from the use of ingredients that taste even better when purchased from your local farmers market.
11. Keto Activated Charcoal Smoothie
Gut health matters. So if you’re in need of some detox support, stick with a smoothie that contains a science-backed ingredient that assists in that regard: activated charcoal. This innovative keto-friendly smoothie recipe also includes collagen protein for multi-faceted support.†
12. Chocolate Mint Avocado Smoothie
Chocolate, mint and avocado join forces in this rich and refreshing post workout recovery smoothie recipe. Avocado, cacao butter and coconut serve as healthy sources of saturated and monounsaturated fats and combine to create a creamy texture. Meanwhile, the cool, refreshing taste of fresh mint pairs perfectly with Bulletproof Chocolate Collagen Protein to form a Thin Mint cookie-like flavor.†
13. Turmeric-Coconut Smoothie Bowl
With just a few ingredients, this spicy coconut smoothie bowl makes each one of them count. Turmeric is a spice that does much more than add flavor and a signature yellow hue to dishes. Curcumin, the active compound in turmeric, supports a healthy inflammation response. Meanwhile, cauliflower and pineapple provide fiber, vitamins and minerals to a recipe that can be enjoyed on its own or as an accompaniment to a meal.†
Benefits of having a healthy post workout smoothie
Once you’ve pumped out your last rep or completed your run, it’s critical to start thinking about feeding your body what it needs to repair damaged muscle fibers. Otherwise, all the hours you spend in the gym won’t pay off if you don’t take your nutrition seriously.
So, why should you make a post-workout smoothie part of your recovery routine?
First, drinking a smoothie after a training session is an easy way to rehydrate. You can sweat out a few pounds during an intense workout, so it’s important to get your hydration levels back up. A smoothie helps in that regard while also providing a pathway for you to help meet your macros.
Specifically, a post-workout shake can be a great way to help build muscle. Since an increase in dietary protein positively affects muscle and strength during resistance training, it makes sense to use a post-workout shake or smoothie as a way to incorporate whey protein and/or collagen protein powders into your recovery plan.†
While weight loss involves several factors, drinking a smoothie after working out may be beneficial in that effort. You can choose ingredients that meet your particular diet, and you may find it easier to get your macros in via a shake rather than having to cook an entire meal.
What to add to your post workout smoothie recipe
It’s awesome to have a recipe at your fingertips to follow. However, don’t be afraid to mix things up!
Depending on your goals, you may want to make a tweak or two. So if you’re wondering what to put in a smoothie after a workout, here are some ways you can take your shake in a different direction.
- To satisfy a sweet tooth: Need to make your smoothie sweeter but don’t want to add sugar? Monk fruit, erythritol, stevia and xylitol are Bulletproof-friendly alternatives that are low on the glycemic index. If you’re a little more flexible with your carbohydrate count, a tablespoon of organic honey will add sweetness and antioxidants to your shake.
- To gain weight: Gaining weight is largely a numbers game. So if you’re trying to move the needle upward, you need to get in more calories. If that’s the case, try adding more quality fats to your post workout smoothie recipe. Since 1 gram of fat contains 9 calories, it’s easy to increase the total amount of calories in your shake by throwing in a tablespoon of MCT oil or grass-fed butter.
- To stay full for a long time: If you want to stay fuller longer, find a way to incorporate more fiber into your after workout smoothie. That could be in the form of a sweet potato, which will also help replenish glycogen stores. If you support putting veggies in shakes (we do!), consider cauliflower. Or, a powdered fiber supplement can also do the trick.
- To support muscle growth: Putting on lean muscle mass requires a lot of hard work. It also requires proper nutrition. If you’re looking to make gains, creatine supplementation has been shown to be an effective way to support lean muscle mass. Typically flavorless, it mixes easily into a smoothie. You may also want to add whey protein powder, which according to a 2017 study, enhances whole body protein metabolism and performance recovery.†
- To support a healthy inflammation response: Take recovery into your own hands by giving your body what it needs to support a healthy inflammation response. Turmeric is a fantastic way to achieve this, as its primary compound, curcumin, has been suggested to aid in the management of oxidative stress and exercise-induced inflammation.†
Before you whip up your next post-gym smoothie, break a sweat—and have a good time doing it—with one of these 23 unconventional workout ideas.
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter for delicious recipes delivered to your inbox weekly!