Bulletproof Coffee Recipe
- Bulletproof Coffee, aka butter coffee or keto coffee, is an energizing beverage made with quality fats. It’s an incredible tool for mind-body fuel!
- When you drink Bulletproof Coffee, instead of eating a carbohydrate-heavy breakfast, you’ll feel sated and energized for hours.
- To make it, blend together freshly brewed coffee, MCT oil and grass-fed butter or Ghee. Get the full recipe below.
The recipe that literally made us famous, Bulletproof Coffee is not your average latte. Created by Bulletproof founder Dave Asprey, it’s an energizing, keto-friendly coffee drink that has guided everyone from driven CEOs to professional athletes to busy parents to GET. MORE. DONE.
What is Bulletproof Coffee?
This powerhouse cup of coffee is complementary to several ways of eating, including the paleo, low-carb and ketogenic diets, as well as intermittent fasting and OMAD (One Meal a Day). Bulletproof Coffee helps you feel satisfied, alert and focused, thank to our signature combination of coffee and quality fats. That means steady energy levels—without the crash. (Seriously!)
Continue on to learn everything there is to know, including how to master the original Bulletproof Coffee recipe, as well as how it fits into your daily life.
How to make Bulletproof Coffee
This is more than just butter coffee. It’s easy to make Bulletproof Coffee—just follow our original recipe.
Bulletproof Coffee Recipe
Start to Finish: 5 minutes
- 1 cup Bulletproof coffee (brewed)
- 1 tsp. to 2 tbsp. Brain Octane C8 MCT oil
- 1-2 tbsp. grass-fed, unsalted butter or 1-2 tsp. Grass-Fed Ghee
Bulletproof tip: If you’re new to MCT oil, start with 1 tsp. and build up to the full serving size over several days. You can also adjust the amount of butter (or Ghee) to find what works for you.
- Brew 1 cup (8-12 ounces) of coffee using Bulletproof coffee beans.
- Add coffee, Brain Octane C8 MCT oil and butter or ghee to a blender.
- Blend 20-30 seconds until it looks like a creamy latte. Enjoy!
Bulletproof tip: If you do not own a blender, add all the contents to a large mug and use a milk frother until the concoction is mixed and creamy.
Makes: 1 cup
Nutritional Information (1 cup):
- Calories: 230
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated Fat: 21g
- Carbs: 0g
- Protein: 0g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugar: 0g
- Salt: 0mg
Bulletproof Coffee Video
If you’re a visual learner, we’ve got you covered. Watch this video on how to make the delicious Bulletproof Coffee recipe at home:
Other ways to enjoy Bulletproof Coffee
Just like the rest of the world, at Bulletproof, we continue to evolve, too. While the famed Bulletproof Coffee recipe (aka “butter coffee”) may work for many of our OG fans and followers (we see you!), it may not be the most convenient option for others. Whether you’re on the go constantly or looking for a reinvented way to enjoy our famed fat-fueled java, consider our latest innovations:
- Power your day with an easy scoop of Bulletproof Original Creamer, which contains quality fats from both grass-fed butter and MCT oil.
- Toss a packet of InstaMix Keto Creamer in your coffee for quick Bulletproof Coffee—no blender required.
- Add Bulletproof Collagen Protein powder. Try Unflavored if you’re just looking for a collagen protein plus-up. Reach for Vanilla if you want a touch of sweetness. And if you like cocoa powder in your coffee, add Chocolate to make a keto-friendly mocha, without the blood sugar crash.
- Not in the mood to prep your French press? Prefer cold brew over warm coffee? Grab a ready-to-drink Bulletproof Cold Brew Latte, which contains both energy-sustaining MCTs and collagen benefits in every can!
How does it work?
Turns out there’s some powerful science behind the benefits of our signature trifecta: hot coffee, butter and Brain Octane C8 MCT Oil…
1. It all starts with quality coffee
Coffee doesn’t just taste good. It also delivers antioxidants. Caffeine keeps you alert, and it can also boost your metabolism and help you burn fat for energy. Just like the food you eat, the quality of the coffee you drink matters: Bad coffee can make you feel lousy, while the right beans can give you an excellent edge.
About Bulletproof clean coffee beans
You deserve nothing less than the best, which is why you should always invest in clean, toxin-tested, ethically sourced coffee beans. At Bulletproof, our 100% Arabica beans come from coffee farms in Colombia, El Salvador and Guatemala to craft consistent roasts for coffee devotees like you.
You can feel good about purchasing Bulletproof coffee beans knowing they follow the Bulletproof Clean Coffee Process, which ensures they are:
- Handled with care: Our beans are harvested and sorted by a network of passionate farmers who love what they do.
- Expertly roasted: Our various roasts are what breathe life into our coffee beans. The Bulletproof roasting process is proprietary; from Original to French Kick to The Mentalist (and more!), each roast has unique flavor notes that shine in your morning cup—we’re all about those taste tests!
- Sustainably supported: Bulletproof coffee beans are Rainforest Alliance Certified, which allows us to support social, economical and environmental change within our farming communities.
Plus, we cater to all types of coffee drinkers. Whether you prefer whole beans, ground coffee or ultra-convenient, single-serve pods, we’ve got you covered with four delicious roasts. (Plus, decaf coffee beans!)
2. Why grass-fed butter?
Grass-fed butter gives Bulletproof Coffee its undeniably creamy consistency. It amps you up with quality fats that help keep you full and fueled. It’s also the key ingredient to crafting the creamiest latte you’ll ever have. Period.
Not only that, but grass-fed butter has butyrate, some Omega-3s, the very important nutrient Vitamin A (as beta-carotene) and the fatty acid CLA.
Bulletproof tip: For a pantry-friendly option with almost no lactose, try Bulletproof Grass-Fed Ghee.
3. Benefits of Brain Octane C8 MCT Oil in Bulletproof Coffee
“MCT” stands for “medium-chain triglycerides” (we prefer the short version, too). MCT oil boosts ketone production on the keto diet—and of the MCT oils out there, Brain Octane C8 MCT Oil is scientifically backed as the best of the best. This top-notch fat is a staple ingredient in Bulletproof Coffee recipe because of its:
- Purity: It’s pure C8 (caprylic acid) derived from 100% coconut oil. Brain Octane C8 MCT Oil is triple-distilled and purified with just water, heat and pressure. That means you get pure, highly ketogenic C8 MCTs. (Get those ketones!)
- Quality: All of our MCT oils are produced according to our strict quality standards.
- Taste: It’s flavorless and odorless, unlike some other MCT oils, and typical coconut oil—if you’re not a fan of coconutty things.
Breaking down the science
Different types of fats have different jobs. And because of Brain Octane C8 MCT Oil’s molecular structure, it’s four times more effective than plain coconut oil at raising your ketone levels, so your body and brain can run more on fat instead of glucose. (Score!) This is what gives you sustained energy, sans the crash.
The best part: While MCT oil is amazing for keto dieters, you don’t have to be in ketosis to benefit from it. In fact, research shows that Brain Octane C8 MCT oil doubles the available ketone energy in a healthy brain—regardless of the diet you follow.
How to add Bulletproof Coffee to your daily routine
Spoiler alert: The best way to figure out if Bulletproof Coffee works for you is to try it. Here’s how you can incorporate Bulletproof Coffee into your day to up your energy and performance:
- Get the ingredients: That means Bulletproof coffee beans, grass-fed butter (or Ghee) and Brain Octane C8 MCT Oil. Grab this Bulletproof Coffee Starter Kit!
- Swap your typical breakfast for Bulletproof Coffee: It may take your body a while to adapt to the extra fat, which is why our experts recommend committing to our recipe for one full week. Start with low amounts of butter and Brain Octane C8 MCT Oil and build up to the full amounts included in the recipe. If you look at your macros and need a little bit more than just Bulletproof Coffee for breakfast, go ahead and incorporate it into a lighter meal and go from there. Remember: Long-term lifestyle changes are a marathon, not a sprint!
- Eat your lunch and dinner as usual: Or, just eat when you’re hungry. Thanks to its ketone-boosting benefits, Bulletproof Coffee is an awesome, satiating tool when you follow a lower-carb, anti-inflammatory diet—that means cutting back on gluten and refined sugar and prioritizing healthy fats and quality proteins. But again, you don’t have to make the switch all at once. Start small, gauge how you feel and see how much you can accomplish with energy that lasts.
Essentially, the first step is learning how to convert your morning fuel source from sugar (sorry, carbs) to fat. When you feel sharp and alert for hours, you’ll be thrilled you made the switch!
What if I don’t drink coffee?
You don’t need a traditional cup of joe to feel many of the benefits of Bulletproof Coffee. The truth is, you can make just about any hot beverage into a creamy, frothy Bulletproof modification by simply adding grass-fed butter and Brain Octane Oil.
If caffeine is the problem, start by opting for decaf. Or, you can Bulletproof your Keto Hot Chocolate and add a little stevia for a sippable sweet treat. If you prefer tea time, check out our recipe for the perfect Bulletproof Matcha Latte.
Bulletproof tip: If you follow a plant-based diet, yes, you can still enjoy the benefits of quality fats in your coffee cup. Try our Vegan Bulletproof Coffee recipe, which also contains gut-supporting prebiotics!
Additional Bulletproof Coffee Resources
Still thirsty for more butter coffee content? Shocker: We have plenty! Peruse the below blogs that cover everything from the best keto coffee recipes to Bulletproof Coffee health benefits and everything in between!
Get your ketosis education on! Find out how Brain Octane Oil can support your keto diet (and ensure you hit your fat macros), along with new and exciting ingredients to blend into your morning mug.
Still on the fence about inviting Bulletproof Coffee into your life? Consider the harm you could be doing to your brain and body by adding all the wrong things to your hot and fresh brew…
Looking for ways to jazz up your cup of Bulletproof Coffee that are low in net carbs? From iced to spicy to mocha and more, add these delicious, nutritious, quality fat-packed keto coffee recipes to your morning routine.
Crafting a successful serving of Bulletproof Coffee begins with the right tools. Find out what to look for in a butter coffee-backed blender. We love Vitamix, Cuisinart and Ninja, just to name a few…
Unfortunately, mainstream coffee creamers aren’t all they’re chalked up to be. They contain artificial sweeteners and low-quality fats—two ingredients that will do your coffee no favors. Learn all about how to select a clean, keto-friendly creamer to support your weight loss and wellness goals!
Now that you’ve graduated from Bulletproof Coffee 101, it’s time to step up your game! Take advantage of even more beneficial ingredients with these nutritious butter coffee add-ins.
Let's Get Cookin'!
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter for delicious recipes delivered to your inbox weekly!