Bulletproof Coffee Recipe
- Bulletproof Coffee, aka butter coffee or keto coffee, is an energizing beverage made with quality fats. It’s perfect for anyone who wants to fuel their mind and body.
- When you drink Bulletproof Coffee instead of eating a carb-heavy breakfast, you’ll feel satisfied and energized for hours.
- To make it, blend together freshly brewed coffee, MCT oil and grass-fed butter or ghee. Find out how it all works below.
What is Bulletproof Coffee?
Bulletproof Coffee is not your average latte. It’s an energizing, keto-friendly coffee drink that has helped everyone from driven CEOs to professional athletes to busy parents get more done.
Read on for the original Bulletproof Coffee recipe, where it came from and how it all works.
How to make Bulletproof Coffee
Making Bulletproof Coffee at home is easy. Just follow our original Bulletproof Coffee recipe.
Bulletproof Coffee Recipe
Start to Finish: 5 minutes
- 1 cup of brewed Bulletproof coffee
- 1 tsp. to 2 tbsp. Brain Octane C8 MCT oil
- 1-2 tbsp. grass-fed, unsalted butter or 1-2 tsp. Grass-Fed Ghee
If you’re new to MCT oil, start with 1 tsp. and build to the full serving size over several days.
- Brew 1 cup (8-12 ounces) of coffee using Bulletproof coffee beans.
- Add coffee, Brain Octane C8 MCT oil and butter or ghee to a blender.
- Blend 20-30 seconds until it looks like a creamy latte. Enjoy!
Makes: 1 cup
Nutritional Information (1 cup):
- Calories: 230
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated Fat: 21g
- Carbs: 0g
- Protein: 0g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugar: 0g
- Salt: 0mg
Adjust the amount of butter, ghee and MCT oil to find what works for you.
Or, if you’re more visual, watch this video to learn how to make this delicious Bulletproof Coffee recipe at home:
Other ways to enjoy Bulletproof Coffee
- Toss a packet of Instamix keto creamer in your coffee for instant Bulletproof Coffee—no blender required.
- Add Bulletproof Collagen Protein powder. Unflavored is great if you’re just looking for protein, or try Chocolate or Vanilla for a touch of delicious sweetness.
- Prefer cold brew? Grab a ready-to-drink Bulletproof Cold Brew Latte.
Related: Try these Bulletproof Coffee add-ins to transform your next brew
How does it work?
Turns out there is some powerful science behind the benefits of coffee, butter and Brain Octane C8 MCT oil.
It all starts with quality coffee
Coffee doesn’t just taste good. It also delivers antioxidants. Caffeine keeps you alert, and it can also boost your metabolism and help you burn fat for energy. Just like the food you put into your body, the quality of your coffee matters: Bad coffee can make you feel lousy, while the right beans can give you an edge.
So make sure to brew with the best beans possible. Choose single-origin, small-batch Arabica beans that are tested for toxins and come from high-elevation farms.
Bulletproof coffee beans exceed all of these standards. Our coffee beans are expertly picked, sorted and roasted.
- Location: Bulletproof coffee beans come from high-elevation, Rainforest Alliance certified, single-origin coffee estates.
- Quality: Bulletproof beans are held to stringent quality standards. They’re sourced and processed to help minimize mycotoxins and other contamination.
- Taste: Bulletproof coffee beans are super high-quality Arabica beans, which have a smooth, bold flavor.
Why grass-fed butter?
Grass-fed butter gives Bulletproof Coffee its creamy consistency. It also gives you quality fats that help keep you full and fueled. It’s the key ingredient to one of the creamiest lattes you’ll ever have.
Not only that, but grass-fed butter is a good source of butyrate and contains important nutrients like vitamin A, beta-carotene, and the fatty acid CLA.
For a pantry-friendly option with almost no lactose, try Bulletproof Grass-Fed Ghee.
Benefits of Brain Octane C8 MCT oil in Bulletproof Coffee
Brain Octane C8 MCT oil is a key ingredient in the Bulletproof Coffee recipe for several reasons:
- Purity: It’s pure C8 (caprylic acid) derived from 100% coconut oil, triple-distilled and purified with just water, heat and pressure. That means you get pure, highly ketogenic C8 MCTs.
- Quality: Produced according to Bulletproof’s strict quality standards.
- Taste: Flavorless and odorless, unlike some other MCT oils.
Different types of fats have different jobs. And because of Brain Octane C8 MCT oil’s molecular structure, it’s four times more effective than plain coconut oil at raising your ketone levels, so your body and brain can run on fat instead of sugar. This is what gives you sustained energy without the crash.
Bulletproof Coffee and intermittent fasting
Won’t Bulletproof Coffee break your intermittent fast? No, as long as you aren’t having protein or carbs with it. Fat doesn’t impact your blood sugar levels when practicing intermittent fasting.
That means Bulletproof Coffee can actually help you extend your fast, without feeling hangry. Learn how Bulletproof Coffee complements intermittent fasting.
Getting started with Bulletproof Coffee
The best way to figure out if Bulletproof Coffee works for you is to try it. Here’s how you can incorporate Bulletproof Coffee into your day to up your energy and performance:
- Get the ingredients: That means Bulletproof coffee beans, grass-fed butter (or ghee) and Brain Octane C8 MCT oil. For a convenient, ready-to-drink option, try Bulletproof Cold Brew Latte. You can take it with you anywhere, no refrigeration needed.
- Try swapping your usual breakfast for Bulletproof Coffee for one week: It may take your body a while to adapt to the extra fat. Start slowly with smaller amounts of butter and Brain Octane C8 MCT oil and build up to the full amounts included in the recipe.
- Eat your lunch and dinner as usual: Or just eat when you’re hungry.
Ditch the sugar-heavy breakfast and start your day with fat for fuel. When you feel sharp and alert for hours, you’ll be glad you made the switch.
What if you don’t drink coffee?
You don’t even have to use coffee to feel many of the benefits of Bulletproof Coffee. The truth is, you can make just about any hot beverage into a creamy, frothy version of itself simply by blending in grass-fed butter and Brain Octane C8 MCT oil.
Hot chocolate, tea and turmeric tea are just a few options. Check out this recipe for the perfect Bulletproof Matcha Latte.
7 things you shouldn’t blend into keto coffee
If you want to maximize the benefits of Bulletproof Coffee, avoid adding the following ingredients:
1. Soy milk
Soy is high in phytic acid and lectins, two antinutrients found in grains and legumes. It can also affect estrogen levels if eaten in excess. Learn more about soy.
2. Industrial butter and margarine
Don’t do it—use grass-fed, unsalted butter instead. Get the details on industrial dairy.
3. Alternative milks with added sugars or fillers
Take a close look at the ingredients of your store-bought nut milk (or oat milk), especially if it’s flavored. Many contain questionable additives like carrageenan (which may contribute to stomach upset and inflammation) or high-fructose corn syrup.
4. Sugar and artificial sweeteners
If you like your coffee on the sweet side, use stevia, monk fruit extract or erythritol. Check out this full list of Bulletproof-approved sweeteners and which to avoid.
5. Other oils
Keep the cooking oils out of your Bulletproof Coffee. You want MCT oil, not canola oil.
For the biggest ketogenic benefits (like fat-burning, brain-powering energy), go with Brain Octane C8 MCT oil. It’s pure C8, the most ketogenic MCT oil.
Even though Brain Octane is sourced from coconuts, it’s not the same as coconut oil. That means you won’t get the same benefits of Bulletproof Coffee if you make it with plain coconut oil.
That’s because coconut oil is a totally different product with a different chemical makeup. Is it a quality fat? Absolutely. But if sustained energy and fewer cravings is what you’re after, reach for Brain Octane C8 MCT oil. Learn more about the differences between MCT oil and coconut oil.
Want benefits that go beyond your daily cup of coffee?
Join over 1 million fans
Sign-up for the Bulletproof mailing list and receive the latest news and updates!