Bulletproof Coffee is not your average latte.
It’s an energizing, high-performance drink that has helped everyone from driven CEOs to professional athletes to busy parents do more of what fulfills them.
What is Bulletproof Coffee?
How to brew Bulletproof Coffee
- It all starts with the beans. Brew 1 cup (8-12 ounces) of coffee using filtered water with 2 ½ heaping tablespoons of freshly ground Bulletproof Coffee Beans. Use a French Press for ease of use and to preserve beneficial coffee oils that paper filters keep out.
- Add 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons of Brain Octane® oil. You’ll learn much more about Brain Octane oil below, but keep in mind that this stuff is powerful. Start with 1 teaspoon per cup and work your way up to 1-2 tablespoons over several days.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of grass-fed, unsalted butter or 1-2 teaspoons of Grass-Fed Ghee (for those who can’t tolerate dairy). You read that right. It says butter. Don’t worry. This mixture also makes the creamiest, most delicious cup of coffee you’ve ever had. Oh, and make sure your butter is unsalted. Salty coffee is gross.
- Mix it all in a blender for 20-30 seconds until it looks like a foamy latte.
Try these convenient Bulletproof Coffee hacks:
- Grab a ready-to-go Bulletproof Coffee Cold Brew, or
- Toss a packet of Instamix creamer in your coffee — no blender required. Each Instamix packet contains grass-fed butter and Brain Octane oil in powdered form, for easy, on-the-go Bulletproof Coffee.
- Try adding Bulletproof collagen powder (flavored or unflavored)
Where Bulletproof Coffee began
Dave Asprey was a successful Silicon Valley entrepreneur when his health really started to take a hit. He was obese, weighing in at almost 300 pounds. He was also chronically tired, and his brain function was starting to suffer.
For years, he tried restricting calories and working out every day. Nothing helped. By the time he was 30, Dave’s doctors told him he was at strong risk for a stroke or heart attack — not at some indeterminate time in the future, but soon.
Dave got the idea for Bulletproof Coffee after a trek in Tibet in 2004. At 18,000 feet above sea level and -10 degrees Fahrenheit, his energy was plummeting — until he staggered into a guest house and a local handed him a creamy cup of yak butter tea.
The biohacker in him wondered why the tea made him feel so good, and he embarked on years of research into the power behind the ingredients. Eventually, Dave substituted tea for mold-tested coffee, and yak butter for regular grass-fed butter or ghee.
Brain Octane oil was the final missing piece. And the right blend of these three ingredients (the right coffee, the right MCTs and grass-fed butter) finally gave Dave the same feeling he first experienced in that hut high up in the Tibetan mountains. That’s how Bulletproof Coffee was born.
How does it work?
Turns out there is some powerful science behind the benefits of coffee, butter and Brain Octane oil. Let’s dive in:
Coffee doesn’t just taste good. It also delivers antioxidants. Caffeine keeps you alert, and it can also boost your metabolism and help you burn fat for energy.
But none of these benefits mean much if you’re drinking the wrong coffee.
Just like the food you put into your body, the quality of your coffee matters: Bad coffee can sap your energy and hurt your performance, while the right beans can give you an edge.
The problem is finding consistently good coffee — which is why Bulletproof coffee beans are carefully selected at every step of the process, including...
- Location: Bulletproof coffee beans come from high-elevation, Rainforest Alliance certified, single-origin coffee estates.
- Quality: Bulletproof beans are held to stringent quality standards with sourcing and processing methods that help minimize mycotoxins and other contamination.
- Taste: Bulletproof Beans are super high-quality Arabica beans, which have a smooth, bold flavor.
Why grass-fed butter?
Grass-fed butter gives Bulletproof Coffee its creamy consistency. It also gives you quality fats that help keep you full and fueled. It’s the key ingredient to one of the creamiest lattes you’ll ever have.
Not only that, but grass-fed butter is a good source of butyrate and contains important nutrients like Vitamin A, beta-carotene, and the fatty acid CLA.
And for those of you with a lactose intolerance, try ghee, which has most of the lactose removed.
The benefits of Brain Octane oil
Brain Octane oil is a staple of the Bulletproof Diet because it supplies you with brain-fueling molecules called ketones — and it's a key ingredient in the Bulletproof Coffee recipe for several reasons:
- Purity: Brain Octane is pure C8 MCT oil derived from 100% coconut oil. It’s triple-distilled and purified with just water, heat and pressure. That means you get pure, highly ketogenic C8 MCTs — and no coconut residue.
- Quality: Brain Octane oil is held to Bulletproof’s strict quality standards.
- Taste: Brain Octane oil is flavorless and odorless, unlike some other MCT oils.
Different types of fats have different jobs. And because of Brain Octane’s molecular structure, it's more than four times as effective as plain coconut oil at raising your ketone levels, so your body and brain can run on fat instead of sugar. This is what gives you clean-burning energy for hours at at time.
Do you have to use Bulletproof ingredients to make Bulletproof Coffee?
Authentic Bulletproof Coffee means using Bulletproof ingredients — all designed to make sure you get the most consistently amazing, frothy, energizing drink possible every time you make it.
Sure, you might get away with using generic coffee beans and coconut oil and still feel some of the same benefits. But carefully selected Bulletproof beans and the high-purity C8 MCTs in Brain Octane oil are your most reliable shortcut to great Bulletproof Coffee.
Don’t add sugar, either. Sugar, even in natural forms like honey or maple syrup, will affect your blood sugar levels and keep you from burning fat.
Why the wrong coffee makes you weak
Just like great coffee makes you feel amazing, low-quality coffee can sap your energy. So make sure to brew with the best beans possible. You can do this by choosing beans that are:
- Single origin
- Small batch
- From high elevations
- Arabica beans
- Rainforest Certified
- Tested for mycotoxins
Bulletproof coffee beans meet all of these standards.
Why coconut oil just won’t cut it
Brain Octane oil is four times as effective as coconut oil at supplying energizing ketones, and throwing coconut oil in your coffee won’t give you the same effects.
After all, Brain Octane oil is composed of a special type of medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) derived from coconut oil — and not all MCTs are created equal.
That’s just one more reason why you'll notice the difference when you make Bulletproof Coffee with the right ingredients.
Why you should rethink breakfast
Bulletproof Coffee is breakfast — but without the added sugar that comes with some common morning staples like fruit juices, smoothies and bread. And because of all those quality fats from grass-fed butter and Brain Octane oil, you'll feel full and energized for hours.
Not all fats make you fat
In fact, eating more of the right fats can be a powerful way to defeat snack cravings and fuel your brain.
Unlike many other fats, most of the high-purity C8 MCTs in Brain Octane oil go directly to your liver. Then, your body turns them into ketones that get burned for energy — not stored on your waistline.
Bonus: Because fats can make you feel full faster, you may find that you actually eat less by adding more high-quality, ketogenic fats to your plate.
But what if you don't drink coffee?
You don’t even have to use coffee to feel many of the benefits of Bulletproof Coffee. In fact, a Tibetan tea was Dave Asprey's first introduction to the energizing power and deliciousness of a hot, buttery pick-me-up.
The truth is, you can make just about any hot beverage into a creamy, frothy version of itself simply by blending in butter and Brain Octane. Hot chocolate, tea and turmeric tea are just a few options.
Getting started with Bulletproof Coffee
The best way to figure out if Bulletproof Coffee works for you is to try it. Here’s how you can incorporate Bulletproof Coffee into your day to up your energy and performance:
- Get the ingredients — ideally, that means Bulletproof coffee beans; grass-fed, unsalted butter or ghee; and Brain Octane oil. (Or for a blender-free, travel friendly option, try ready-to-drink Bulletproof Coffee Cold Brew that you can take with you anywhere with no refrigeration needed.)
- Try swapping your usual breakfast for Bulletproof Coffee for one week. It may take your body a while to adapt to the extra fat. Start slowly with smaller amounts of butter and Brain Octane oil, and build up to the full amounts included in the recipe.
- Eat your lunch and dinner as usual or just eat when you’re hungry.
- For best results, stay in the “green” zone of the Bulletproof Food Roadmap.
Bulletproof Coffee is your new favorite breakfast
Typical breakfast staples loaded with sugar and refined carbs can spike your blood sugar. Sure, you may get a quick burst of energy, but by mid-morning you'll be hungry, tired and unfocused.
Starting your day with Bulletproof Coffee, on the other hand...
- Curbs hunger and snack attacks: The quality fats in Brain Octane oil help keep you full.
- Gives you mental energy: Brain Octane rapidly converts into ketones to help power your brain with high-performance fuel.
Ditch the sugar-heavy breakfast and start your day with fat for fuel. When you feel sharp and alert for hours, you’ll be glad you made the switch.