How to Support Your Brain and Body With Natural Energy Supplements
- Energy is more than just the feeling you get from caffeine and sugar. It starts with nutrients that give your brain and body more fuel.
- These natural energy supplements are a way to increase energy at the cellular level. Learn about nootropics to enhance your cognition and foods to support brain health.
- Find out what your gut health has to do with your energy levels (and how to support your good gut bacteria).
Feeling worn down? (Who isn’t?) Energy is more than just the way you feel after drinking a big mug of coffee. It’s the way you feel when you wake up, when you focus on a task at work and when you’re with your family at the end of the day. And when your diet just isn’t cutting it, natural energy supplements can help you tap into your full potential. We’re not talking about caffeine—we’re talking about energy on the cellular level.
Your brain uses more energy than any other organ, up to 20% of the body’s total energy.And as it turns out, when you have more energy for your brain, that translates to energy for the rest of your body, too. Brain health supplements can support your overall energy production, and gut health supplements allow your body to get more energizing nutrients out of your food.
Below, we’ll dig into a few of the best supplements that help boost your brain, fuel your cells and give you more fire power—no energy drinks required!
Natural energy supplements for your brain
We selected these brain health supplements because they’re accessible, effective and support brain function. But remember, dietary supplements are not replacements for a healthy wellness routine. Start with a solid foundation for brain health with a healthy diet, quality sleep and plenty of stress management—and use these to fill in the gaps.
Nootropics, aka brain-boosting supplements
The word “nootropics” might seem mystical, but this term really refers to supplements ranging from plant extracts to chemicals your body naturally produces. Nootropics give you an extra edge by providing your body with nutrients to boost your mood, enhance cognition and banish brain fog.
Because there are tons of different nootropics on the market, it’s too simplistic to say that one pill will transform your brain energy. Instead, pick your nootropics based on the benefits you’re looking for—like better focus, alertness or healthy aging.
For example, several Bulletproof brain health supplements contain science-backed ingredients to help you feel your best, such as:
- Bulletproof Greens for body and mind support: Greens delivers 35 superfoods, vitamins, minerals and digestive aids, as well as nootropics to bolster brain power so you can hit the ground running.† Bonus: There’s a full serving of veggies in every scoop.⋄
- Bulletproof NeuroMaster for focus and attention: NeuroMaster contains compounds shown to support memory and focus. In addition, the supplement contains coffee fruit extract, which has been shown to increase BDNF, a protein that helps generate and strengthen your brain cells.†
- Bulletproof Smart Mode for mental clarity and alertness: Smart Mode contains a blend of brain-supporting nutrients and adaptogens to promote clear-headed concentration,† like pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), L-tyrosine and antioxidant-rich rosemary and artichoke leaf extract. Adios, brain fog and caffeine jitters.
- Bulletproof Polyphenomenal for diverse antioxidant support: Polyphenols are antioxidants that neutralize free radicals caused by toxins and stress. If you’re looking for natural ways to support healthy aging, fight free radicals and protect your cells, up your antioxidants with a daily dose of polyphenols.† Polyphenomenal contains a diverse blend of antioxidants from ingredients like pomegranate, quercetin and green tea extract.
- Bulletproof Methyl B-12 for brain support as you age: Did you know that fatigue is one of the main symptoms of a B12 deficiency? Vitamin B-12 supports healthy cells, helps protect your brain as you age and is essential for DNA synthesis and repair.† Enter: B12 supplements. Methyl B-12 packages it all in a convenient lozenge, aka your daily dose of wisdom.
- Bulletproof Unfair Advantage for CoQ10 and PQQ: Your body uses pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ) and coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) as powerful antioxidants. They protect your cells, specifically your mitochondria, which are the power plants that generate cellular energy.† Bonus health benefits: Animal research suggests PQQ is far more powerful than vitamin C.
Quality fats to add to your diet
Looking for an effective way to keep your brain young? Just add grass-fed butter.
You might not think of fatty foods as natural energy supplements or energy boosters. But in reality, quality fats (like what you get from grass-fed butter, grass-fed ghee and wild-caught fatty fish) contain nutrients that help power your brain.
That’s because your brain is nearly 60% fat, and fatty acids play a key role in determining how well your brain functions—from neurotransmitters to neuroprotection.
Looking for ways to get more quality fats in your diet for an easy source of energy? Consider consuming:
- Bulletproof Grass-Fed Ghee and butter, as well as wild-caught fish, which are sources of beneficial fatty acids like omega-3s and CLA. They’re also rich in some of the best vitamins for overall wellness, and other naturally occurring carotenoids.
- Bulletproof Brain Octane Softgels, which contain C8 MCT oil, the most ketogenic MCT oil. Brain Octane Softgels are a handy way to supply more energy to your brain in the form of ketones.
- Bulletproof Omega Krill Complex, which contains a unique blend of omega-3 fatty acids to support brain health, cognition and memory.† It also contains antioxidants to neutralize free radicals and support healthy aging.† Talk about a pure catch!
Natural energy supplements for your body
In addition to nootropics, there are also several energy supplements that provide support that not only benefits your brain, but your entire body. At Bulletproof, we are big believers in consuming as many vitamins and minerals as possible through your daily diet. However, when you can’t get everything you need through noshing, supplements can help!
Magnesium and energy
What do your mood, energy level and mitochondria all have in common? A little something called magnesium.
This mineral plays a major role in how much energy your mitochondria can make. The side effects of a magnesium deficiency can impact your mood, how clearly you think and how well you sleep—because all of these things start in the brain.
Bulletproof Magnesium provides a science-backed dose of highly absorbable magnesium citrate that supports your brain, muscles and nervous system.† You can also obtain more magnesium by eating foods that naturally contain both this critical mineral and tryptophan—an amino acid that supports serotonin, the brain chemical that enhances your mood and mental clarity. That includes foods like dark chocolate, spirulina, spinach and avocados.
Better yet, you can obtain both via Bulletproof Dark Chocolate Energy Collagen Protein. Also available in the equally delicious Vanilla Bean, this caffeine-free supplement includes a blend of adaptogens, MCT oil and grass-fed collagen protein that supports sustained energy and healthy bones, joints and muscles.†
Or, you can supplement with Bulletproof Forbose, which was formulated to support energy production by boosting the creation and use of ATP,† which provides energy to your cells.
Featuring D-ribose, Coleus forskohlii root extract and magnesium, Forbose comes in clutch when you want an energy supplement that helps you power up for a workout or brainstorming session—or whenever you need to recharge your batteries.
Stress support to boost energy levels
Turns out, being stressed all the time isn’t good for your health. Who knew?
The reality is that your body reacts to stress in tons of different ways, and in some people, chronic stress leads to a lack of energy on both the mental and physical levels.
The good news is that you can help fight fatigue by managing your stress levels. Of course, that’s easier said than done. In addition to behaviors like getting enough sleep and practicing self-care, you can help calm your nervous system naturally with adaptogens like ashwagandha, ginseng and rhodiola rosea.
Adaptogens are natural substances used in herbal medicine. They help manage your stress response—your body’s natural sequence of reactions in response to perceived stress. Think: a surge of stress hormones like adrenaline and cortisol, increased blood flow to your muscles and a racing heart. A healthy system has an easier time returning to baseline, but when you’re chronically stressed, your body will have a harder time staying balanced.
Enter: adaptogens. They act on your body’s stress response in different ways, depending on your biology and the adaptogen you use. For example, ashwagandha supports the adrenals†—the glands that produce cortisol (the stress hormone). Find it in Bulletproof Zen Mode, plus a blend of adaptogens and nutrients like holy basil, L-theanine and vitamin B6.
Related: Ashwagandha’s Benefits for Stress, Anxiety and Immunity
Natural energy supplements for your gut
We’re big on gut health for a reason—your gut bacteria play a role in pretty much everything, from your energy to your immune system.
Your gut microbiome is the ecosystem of bacteria in your digestive system. When you have a healthy balance of beneficial bacteria, your body is able to more efficiently break down your food and remove toxins that would otherwise bring you down. Your gut bacteria also generate B vitamins, which help your body produce energy.
If you’re dealing with symptoms like lack of energy, digestive problems and difficulty concentrating, your gut bacteria might be to blame. The problem is that a lot of factors can throw your microbiome out of whack, like stress, changes in your weight, diet, lack of sleep and alcohol—to name a few.
How to support your gut health
The good news: Now is a great time to improve your gut health. Tackle the big blocks, first, such as cutting back on your sugar intake, eating more whole foods and getting more fiber (all the veggies!). To take your gut health to the next level, try integrating gut health supplements, like:
- Bulletproof InnerFuel Prebiotic for fiber and immune support: Prebiotics feed probiotics, your good gut bacteria. With prebiotic fiber from organic acacia, guar fiber and Larch Arabinogalactan, InnerFuel Prebiotic supports healthy digestion and healthy gut bacteria† for a rockstar gut microbiome.
- Bulletproof Gut Health Collagen Protein for prebiotics, probiotics and gut health nutrients: Support healthy digestion with the best-tasting drink mix for gut health. This collagen protein powder contains ingredients to support healthy digestion and help protect the gut barrier.†
- Bulletproof Coconut Charcoal for detox and gas relief: Don’t let toxins bring you down and sap your energy. Coconut Charcoal traps toxins and gas† to flush them out of your body, like a system cleanup. Take it when you’re dealing with the effects of overindulgence or just want to support your detox routine.
Healthy gut bacteria is a key part of optimal energy for your brain and body. That’s because you need the good guys to do the hard work of breaking down your food into energizing nutrients. That translates to whole-body benefits, from your mood to your immune health.
Here’s another effective way to boost energy for your brain and body: Improve your sleep quality. Check out these science-backed tips to sleep better.
Sign up for early access to sales, product launches, the latest Bulletproof news and more!