Cool Off With Bulletproof Cold Brew
By: Bulletproof Staff
August 2, 2016
Summer is amazing. Free vitamin D, picnics, spending time outside with family and friends – the only real downside is that those higher temperatures make it harder to enjoy a hot cup of coffee.
Well, there’s a hack for that. Two, actually.
There’s already a tasty recipe for Bulletproof Iced Coffee, but what about a Bulletproof Cold Brew? And what’s the difference between the two?
Iced coffee vs. cold brew: What’s the difference?
Iced coffee is simple: it’s hot-brewed coffee that you pour over ice to make it cold. Cold brew is coffee that’s never been heated. Instead of using hot water to extract the oils, fatty acids, and caffeine out of your beans, you steep coffee grounds in cold water for several hours. The result of cold brew is a smoother and sweeter taste, partly because it has less caffeine and none of the heat-extracted coffee oils. And while it’s a little less potent than hot brew, it’s still a lot richer than iced coffee, which is severely watered down with melted ice.
Some benefits of cold brew coffee:
- It’s easy to make. Drop finely ground beans into cold water, toss it in the fridge (or leave it room-temp for a stronger brew), and forget it for 12 hours.
- It’s less acidic, which brings out the sweeter, more subtle flavors. The mellower flavor will highlight the subtleties of a high-quality roast and expose spoiled or burnt coffee. There’s a reason certain chain coffee shops brew their coffee in scalding hot water – it hides the taste of bad beans.
- The flavor doesn’t get stale or fade. And unlike iced coffee, you don’t have to worry about water diluting the taste.
- It’s great with ice cream. Cold brew is great mixed with coconut cream or … wait for it … ice cream (see below!).
Check out Dave’s explanation of why you may prefer cold brew to hot brew:
Turn your coffee into dessert (or breakfast)
The challenge with making a proper Bulletproof-style cold brew is getting the fat to blend into cold liquid. That’s where Bulletproof ice cream comes in.
Get Some Ice Cream is a Bulletproof original recipe and might be one of the only desserts you can eat guilt-free for breakfast. How you ask? Get Some Ice Cream contains all the benefits of a cup of Bulletproof Coffee, including quality fats and other essential nutrients from whole, pastured eggs and ketones from Brain Octane Oil. The real advantage is right in the name: “Get Some” refers to the hormone-supporting, energy-boosting fats that fuel your libido. (So you and your partner can “get some” … get it?)
This is some of the only ice cream on the planet that can help you burn fat, balance hormones, and boost your sex drive.
If you don’t want to make your own cold brew, you can always buy Bulletproof’s ready-to-drink Cold Brew Coffee in single-serve containers. It’s already been specially blended with butter and Brain Octane Oil for you. It’s creamy, convenient, and delicious.
Bulletproof Cold Brew Iced Latte
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4 cups cold filtered water
- 1 cup freshly ground Bulletproof Coffee Beans
- 8 scoops Get Some Ice Cream
Here’s how you make it:
- To make your cold-brew, you’ll need a 4:1 ratio of water to coffee beans
- Start by grinding your Bulletproof Coffee Beans
- Next, add them to a large french press
- Add 4 cups cold, filtered water
- Store in fridge overnight – up to 12 hours
- Remove from fridge and press the coffee
- Pour the cold-brew into a high-speed blender
- Add 8 scoops of Get Some Ice Cream
- Blend for 15 seconds or until creamy
- Serve and enjoy!
Let us know what you think of cold brew and how it pairs with Get Some Ice Cream. Stay tuned for more Bulletproof Diet-friendly recipes by signing up for our newsletter below!
Join over 1 million fans
Sign-up for the Bulletproof mailing list and receive the latest news and updates!