Do Gummy Vitamins Work?
- Gummy vitamins are soft, chewable and flavored to taste like fruits and other sweets. For children and adults who have trouble swallowing pill vitamins and capsules, these vitamins can be easier to take.
- Vitamins in gummy form come in an array of options, including general multivitamins, single vitamins and vitamin blends, which can help you sleep or support your immune health.
- Vitamins made of gummies can be an effective supplement to a diet made up of fresh, whole foods, but be sure to avoid those with sugar, additives and artificial fillers.
Vitamin gummies are colorful, tasty and packed full of beneficial vitamins and minerals, but do gummy vitamins work? If you’re trying to decide between gummy vitamins and other forms of vitamins—including capsules, tablets and pill vitamins—it’s a good idea to understand what’s going on inside these fruity, chewy, vitamin-delivery vessels, first.
What are gummy vitamins, exactly?
Gummy vitamins are soft, chewable, brightly-colored vitamins that typically taste like various fruits and other sweet treats. Of course, because they contain vitamins and minerals, they are definitely not considered candy! They often come in fun shapes like little bears or miniature versions of familiar fruits.
Do gummy vitamins work for adults? While these fun vitamins are especially popular among children, adults can ingest them, too. After all, they’re easier for some people to consume compared to swallowing a pill or capsule whole.
Are gummy vitamins effective? Yes, thanks to the fact that they target different need states. To illustrate, vitamins in the form of gummies range from once-daily gummy multivitamins to those containing more specific nutrients like calcium, vitamin C, vitamin D and vitamin E. Other vitamins in gummy formats may contain blends of nutrients, herbs, vitamins and minerals intended to help you sleep, support your immune system or strengthen your hair, skin and nails. (Spoiler alert: Have you learned all about collagen yet?!)
Related: High Protein Green Gummies
Ingredients to watch out for in vitamins made of gummies
Are gummy vitamins bad for you? The answer: It depends.
Start by taking a good, hard look at the ingredient list on the gummy vitamin bottle. Many gummy vitamins taste so good because they’re loaded with sugar!
While each individual gummy vitamin may not contain enough sugar to harm your health, added sugar has been linked to health problems such as obesity and heart disease.  Needless to say, those grams of sugar can add up fast!
Vitamin gummies may also contain fillers, preservatives, artificial flavorings, artificial food colorings, corn syrup, glucose syrup, carnauba wax and plenty of hard-to-pronounce additives. In essence, many gummy vitamins are no better than junk food, so you’ll want to carefully scrutinize the ingredient list before you buy.
Always check the list of vitamins and minerals, as well as the amount per serving and percent daily value of each one. You’ll want to choose gummies that contain the types of nutrients (and the right amounts) for your specific needs.
Who should not take vitamins in gummy form?
Are gummy vitamins effective? Yes, but there are some caveats.
They may not be a good choice for everyone, including:
- Specific dieters: Since many gummy vitamin brands are loaded with sugar, they’re not always a match for low-carb dieters. Consider gummy vitamins made with sugar alcohols or natural zero-calorie sweeteners, instead.
- Those with gluten intolerances or Celiac disease: Not all gummy supplements are gluten-free. So if you need to stay away from gluten, you’ll want to scour the nutrition labels and find a gummy vitamin that won’t send your stomach into scramble mode.
- Vegans: Many gummy vitamin brands contain gelatin, which is made from animal collagen. If you’re following a vegan or plant-based diet, or if you’re just not eating gelatin, be sure to check the ingredients. Look for products made with plant-based thickening agents like pectin, which is derived from fruits.
Introducing: Bulletproof Gummy Vitamins
Now that you know all about what to flag in your gummy vitamins, you can make an educated decision on your next wellness shopping spree. However, Bulletproof makes the decision seamless on your behalf. Introducing our brand-new line of gummy vitamins with nothing to hide, which are sugar-free, sans junk and filled with the daily nutrients to help you thrive. Choose from four targeted options, including:
- Bulletproof Vitamins A+D+K Gummies, which offer a great source of vitamin D, along with the added benefits of vitamin A and vitamin K, for bone, heart and immune support.†
- Bulletproof Turmeric Gummies, which blend turmeric and ginger to help with recovery and a healthy inflammation response.†
- Bulletproof Immune Gummies, which offer immune benefits via vitamin C, zinc, elderberry and echinacea.†
- Bulletproof Sleep Gummies, which support sound, quality rest thanks to our custom blend of melatonin and GABA.†
Should children take vitamin gummies?
Children should only take gummy vitamins made for children, which are specifically designed to meet their unique nutritional needs. Subsequently, if the bottle says “Keep out of reach of children” and doesn’t contain directions for use by children, that means the product was formulated specifically for adults, so don’t try and guess at dosing for children.
A word of caution: Always supervise your children when they are taking vitamins, and keep the bottle out of reach. Not only can vitamin gummies be a choking hazard, but they can also be a little too tempting for some children to stop at the recommended serving size. This overconsumption could lead to harmful nutrient toxicities.
So, do gummy vitamins work?
Gummy vitamins are a fun, easy way to ensure you’re getting the vitamins and minerals you need to thrive. But before you grab a bottle of gummy vitamin supplements on your next trip to the store, consider the below:
- Always talk with your doctor or health care provider about adding vitamins to your daily routine. If you’re feeling unhealthy or less like yourself and you think daily vitamins can help support your overall wellness, there may be an underlying health issue that needs to be addressed.
- Consider taking vitamins as a supplement to a balanced diet that’s rich in fresh, whole foods that already contain tons of the essential nutrients, minerals and vitamins your body needs.
- Look for the right gummies for you. Seek out clean, sugar-free vitamins, and always keep your own personal health goals and vitamin deficiencies in mind. Don’t take gummy vitamins just for the fun of it, and be careful not to overeat them. Though they look and taste like candy, they’re meant to be taken according to the instructions on the label.
The bottom line: Do gummy vitamins work? Are gummy vitamins bad for you? Yes, they work, and they’re a convenient and yummy way to supplement your diet with nutrients. However, it’s important to steer clear of gummy vitamins that contain sugar, artificial fillers and other additives. Moreover, be sure to talk with your doctor before consuming these types of supplements, especially those intended to consume on a daily basis.
Calling all women: Are you getting the right vitamins and nutrients? Learn all about how the best women’s vitamins and dietary supplements can keep you feeling your best!
Join the Bulletproof Revolution
Sign up for early access to sales, product launches, the latest Bulletproof news and more!