Keto Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Slow cooker beef stew recipe & content provided by Sheridan Austin
Slow cooker beef stew is the answer when you need a nutrient-rich meal with little prep time. Not only does this stew only require a few steps from start to finish, it uses a variety of low-carb veggies and makes enough to serve a crowd.
Related: Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef
This hearty slow cooker beef stew uses herb-seasoned beef in a rich gravy with bone broth and tomatoes. Chunky vegetables like celery, carrots, and leeks add a pleasing texture and natural fiber. If you’re only cooking for a small group, you can freeze leftovers for this slow cooker beef stew and gently reheat it weeks later (perfect for meal prep!).
Serve this savory slow cooker beef stew with mashed cauliflower, steamed greens, or cooked and cooled white rice on carb refeed days.
Keto Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Start to Finish: 5-8 hours (10 minutes active)
- 3 - 3 1/2 pounds grass-fed beef, diced
- 1 1/2 cups beef bone broth (try this recipe)
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped into large rounds
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 1 leek, white part only with the hard outer layer removed
- One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes (BPA-free)
- 3 handfuls fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, or 1 sprig (leaves only)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme or 2 sprigs (leaves only)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Grass-Fed Ghee or coconut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a frying pan on medium heat, add ghee and lightly brown beef (you may have to work in batches). Add beef to your slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients except spinach to your slow cooker and stir to combine well.
- Turn the heat to low, and cook for 5-8 hours.
- Before cooking time finishes, lightly steam spinach and set aside.
- Once cooking time is complete, gently stir in spinach.
- Taste the mix and add more flavoring if desired (such as more dried herbs, fresh lemon juice, or tomato paste).
- Serve slow cooker beef stew warm with mashed cauliflower, steamed greens, or cooked and cooled white rice.
Makes: Serves 7-8
Nutritional Information ((Per Serving)):
- Calories: 553
- Fat: 36.9g
- Salt: 438mg
- Carbs: 6.4g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sugar: 1.7g
- Net Carbs: 4.8g
- Protein: 175g
- Cholesterol: 502mg
- Potassium: 2487mg
- Vitamin D: 0mcg
- Calcium: 47mg
- Iron: 107mg
Note on ingredients: Tomatoes are in the nightshade family and can cause inflammation in sensitive people. Black pepper is a suspect spice on the Bulletproof Diet, and highly susceptible to performance-robbing mold toxins. To reduce your risk, omit pepper or grind it fresh using high-quality whole peppercorns.
Note on cooking method: Slow cooking is “suspect” on the Bulletproof Diet because it can lead to overcooked food, which produces toxic compounds. To reduce your risk, use the shortest cook times recommended and season with antioxidant-rich herbs like oregano or turmeric to combat some of these effects.
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter for delicious recipes delivered to your inbox weekly!