Keto Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef
Mexican Shredded Beef recipe and content provided by Sheridan Austin
Unlike many Mexican feasts that can leave you feeling tired, this Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef uses clean and fresh ingredients that won’t make you feel foggy. Using short ribs or beef shank, the bones simmer all day in liquid and forms a gelatin-rich base to your meal.
This keto-friendly Mexican Shredded Beef can be a side to any Mexican feast you desire. However, we love serving ours on lettuce cups, on top of rocket or spinach, alongside roasted or raw vegetables, or under a dollop of Bulletproof guacamole.
Recommended: Dry-Rubbed Slow-Cooker Short Ribs
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef
Start to finish: 7.5 hours (30 minutes active)
- 3 1/2 pounds pastured beef short ribs or beef shank
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup cilantro stems, coarsely chopped
- Optional: 4 cloves of garlic (crushed), 1 teaspoon chipotle powder and 2 teaspoons paprika
- In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Add short ribs to slow cooker and lightly coat each piece in the spice mix.
- Sprinkle cilantro stems and optional garlic over the ribs. Carefully add water without rinsing spices off the meat.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours, or until it is falling apart. Check the meat at 6 hours and cook longer if it is not tender enough.
- If desired, drain cooking liquid into a small saucepan and reduce for 10-15 minutes over medium heat.
- Return liquid to the crock pot. Using two forks, pull the meat apart and shred the beef.
- Serve hot with Bulletproof guacamole, silverbeet leaves as a taco, roasted pumpkin, cucumbers, green beans and fresh cilantro.
Nutrition Information (Per Serving):
- Calories: 656
- Protein: 50.2g
- Carbohydrates: 1.4g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.4g
- Total Sugars: 0.1g
- Net carbs: 1g
- Total Fat: 48.5g
- Sodium: 413mg
- Cholesterol: 195mg
- Potassium: 473mg
- Calcium: 38mg
- Iron: 7mg
Want more recipes?
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter where deliciousness is delivered to your inbox every week!