Bake Bulletproof Bread With This Keto Low Carb Bread Recipe
By: Dave Asprey
When I recommend that people see how they feel after eliminating gluten, of the most common responses is, “I could never stop eating bread.”
No surprise — bread is delicious, and it was probably a dietary staple for most of us growing up. But gluten (and therefore bread) can contribute to gut inflammation, brain fog, weight gain and autoimmune disease. To top it off, wheat is especially susceptible to mold growth and mycotoxin contamination, which brings with it a whole host of health problems, from hormone disruption to cancer. No wonder so many people are going gluten-free.
As the gluten-free diet grows in popularity, so does the rise of gluten-free, low-carb bread. Often, though, gluten-free breads are no better than the loafs they imitate. They can have an equally high glycemic load and contain ingredients derived from corn, potatoes or soy. Not Bulletproof. But what if you could have your bread and eat it, too?
That’s where Bulletproof bread — keto, low carb bread — comes in. It’s pure fat and protein, so it’ll keep you in a fat-burning, energy-producing ketogenic state (you can read up on ketosis here). It’s also a near perfect replacement for normal bread, from texture to taste. Try it with butter, serve a burger on it, make a BLT with it — it’s firm and chewy enough to stand in for bread in pretty much any recipe.
Oh, and did I mention it’s made with only three ingredients?
Thanks to Veronica Culver, the Enchanted Cook, for coming up with and sharing this recipe. Check out the video, then save the recipe below.
Bulletproof Bread Recipe: Keto Low Carb Bread
Makes 1 Loaf
- 6 pastured eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup grass-fed Bulletproof Collagen Protein
- Grass-fed butter or ghee (to grease pan)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Use middle rack and remove any racks above as bread will expand while baking.
- Generously butter a loaf pan/dish with grass-fed butter. (Side note: If possible, use a ceramic pan. The bread will cook evenly without sticking, and a ceramic pan won’t leach chemicals like Teflon cookware will.)
- Beat 6 egg whites until stiff peaks form – a hand mixer on high works well. Really beat the whites until the peaks are VERY stiff. If you don’t beat them enough, they’ll collapse when you add the whey and egg yolks, and you’ll end up with a Styrofoam-like concoction. Yuck.
- Add ½ cup of Bulletproof Collagen Protein and the 6 yolks. Blend gently on low just until fully incorporated. The batter will be fluffy.
- Pour batter into prepared dish and place in oven.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool completely. The loaf will sink to a normal height.
- Once fully cooled, release from dish, slice and serve.
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge for a few days.
Reheating recommendation: Heat a skillet to medium-high and add ghee or grass-fed butter, sear bread slices in skillet until lightly toasted on each side, about 30 seconds per side. Do not overheat.
Use heat-stable collagen over whey protein, and keep in mind that oxidized cholesterol from the cooked egg yolks can cause a little inflammation, so don’t eat this every day. Stick to every few days, if you can control yourself. 😉
This recipe was adapted from “The Ketogenic Cookbook” by Jimmy Moore and Maria Emmerich.
Join over 1 million fans
Sign-up for the Bulletproof mailing list and receive the latest news and updates!