Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad With Lemon Thyme Vinaigrette
Brussels sprouts recipe & content provided by Veronica Culver, The Enchanted Cook
This shaved Brussels sprouts salad recipe is the perfect antidote for kale salad fatigue. Bright, citrusy flavors complement the earthy sprouts. Because they go so well together, you can also garnish with chopped bacon.
Brussels sprouts have become a fan favorite due to their low carb count and high nutrition profile. They have anticancer compounds that help in DNA repair and are good sources of folate, vitamin C, vitamin K, and fiber. They are a cruciferous vegetable — like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage — and naturally contain oxalates that can cause kidney stones, gout, and thyroid issues. Therefore, they’re not suitable to be eaten raw. Thankfully, lightly cooking Brussels sprouts removes much of the oxalates. This Brussels sprouts recipe cooks, then cools, them in an ice bath prior to tossing in a bright citrus vinaigrette.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Lemon Thyme Vinaigrette
Start to Finish: 15 minutes
- 1 lb of fresh organic brussels sprouts, shaved
- 1/4 cup good quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1/2 organic lemon, juiced
- 4 sprigs fresh organic thyme, leaves only
- Sea salt to taste
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a gentle boil.
- Place shaved brussels sprouts in water and allow to simmer for approximately 7-10 minutes or until crisp tender.
- While your brussels sprouts are cooking, prepare your vinaigrette by placing the remaining ingredients except sea salt in a small bowl and whisking together. Set aside.
- When brussels sprouts are ready, drain them and immediately place them in an ice bath to stop the cooking process and preserve their bold green color. Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes in the ice bath and then drain them again.
- Place drained brussels sprouts in a bowl and pour vinaigrette over. Toss to coat and add sea salt to taste.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving):
Saturated Fat: 2g
Trans fat: 0g
Vitamin A: 15%
Vitamin C: 127%