Gluten-free Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts Recipe
Especially in the cooler months, you crave the occasional sweet and comforting dessert. These Bulletproof-approved gluten-free doughnuts hit the spot without messing with your mojo. Here’s why:
These gluten-free doughnuts gets much of their flavor from cinnamon, a spice that helps keep blood sugar levels in check. How? Cinnamon extracts slow the production of digestive enzymes, keeping your body from fully digesting carbohydrates.
Translation: Consuming cinnamon with carbohydrates could prevent the dreaded sugar crash that follows. Just be sure to use high-quality, organic Ceylon cinnamon. Even small doses of the cheaper and more common Cassia cinnamon can lead to liver damage in sensitive people.
Benefits of pumpkin
You can also feel good knowing that pumpkin boasts plenty of health benefits, thanks to the antioxidants beta-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin. Beta-carotene, which gives pumpkin its distinctive orange hue, shields against age-related diseases and cancer by protecting cells from free radical damage. In the body, beta-carotene converts to vitamin A. Just a single cup of cooked pumpkin offers more than 200% of your recommended daily allowance. Vitamin A helps keep eyes sharp, and bones, skin and other connective tissue like cartilage and joints strong.
Thanks to Bulletproof friend Chef Vanessa Musi at vanessamusi.com for this delicious gluten-free doughnut recipe!
Gluten-free Pumpkin Doughnuts
Makes 8 doughnuts
- 3 eggs, organic pasture raised
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup coconut cream (the thick part from a can, unsweetened)
- 1/8 cup birch-derived xylitol
- 1/8 cup + 1 tablespoon monk fruit sweetener
- 1 tablespoon Brain Octane Oil (or MCT oil)
- 1 teaspoon ground Madagascar vanilla beans
- 1 ¾ cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup arrowroot starch or potato starch
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, well-sourced
- ½ teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Cacao hazelnut superfood spread or almond maca superfood spread, to decorate
- Bulletproof Fudge Brownie Collagen Protein Bars, chopped, to top
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare a silicone donut pan (such as a Demarle Flexipan) and put onto a perforated baking tray; or use a metal donut pan and grease with coconut spray.
- In a large bowl, sift flours and dry ingredients except sweeteners.
- In another bowl: mix eggs, pumpkin puree, vanilla, sweeteners, oil, coconut cream. Add dry ingredients to the above mixture and mix to blend.
- Pour batter into the prepared pans so that they are 2/3 full, then bake until a toothpick comes out clean — approximately 20 minutes, depending on your mold.
- Let cool, then remove from pans.
- Decorate with superfood spread and sprinkle chopped Bulletproof Collagen Bars on top.
For more gluten-free fall treats, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter!
Join over 1 million fans
Sign-up for the Bulletproof mailing list and receive the latest news and updates!