Bulletproof Chocolate Recipes for Energy and Glowing Skin
Controlling your biology doesn’t have to be complicated or scientific. Sometimes it’s just about finding new ways to eat something delicious that will give you lasting energy and leave you feeling great.
Dark chocolate (85% cocoa minimum) is a powerhouse of nutrients that can increase your athletic performance, make you look younger, and give you a boost in the bedroom.[1,2,3] (Always buy chocolate made from organic cocoa beans.)
As we near the holidays, you’ll want some alternatives to the kryptonite candies and baked goods on offer at work and family events. So, Nick Kowalski from NicksFit.com shared a couple of his nutrient-packed truffle recipes that are as delicious as they are good for you.
Chocolate might get a bad rap in some circles, but that’s likely due to its association with sugar, which is inflammatory and can lead to heart disease and other chronic conditions.
The recipes here contain all the many benefits of chocolate and then some, due to the hormone-loving adaptogenic herbs that Nick adds into the mix.
(See below to learn more about the herbs.)
Chocolate Golden Milk Truffles
Golden milk is a non-dairy turmeric-rich beverage made with coconut oil (or milk) that’s known for its anti-inflammatory properties. It’s been associated with pain relief, supporting your body’s natural detox pathways, and boosting immunity.
For this recipe, Nick incorporated the creamy, fragrant taste of golden milk into a classic chocolate truffle.
(Side note on sourcing herbs: Most of the herbs and spices in the recipe can be found on Amazon, Mountain Rose Herbs, or your local Whole Foods or at other health food store.)
- 1 cup cacao powder
- 3/4 cup cacao butter
- 1/4 cup local raw honey
- 2 tbsp. Brain Octane Oil
- 2 tbsp. organic coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. organic turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. ashwagandha extract
- 1 tsp. Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom
- 1 dropper liquid stevia
- Pinch of black pepper
- This recipe has two parts to it: the chocolate, then the golden milk center.
- First, you want to make your base Bulletproof chocolate by melting chopped cacao butter in a double boiler – frequently stirring until the cacao melts.
- Once melted, remove from heat and set bowl aside.
- Next, add in Brain Octane Oil, Bulletproof Cacao Powder, and stevia – mix until thoroughly combined.
- Once thoroughly mixed, pour liquid into silicon molds just under halfway.
- Place in freezer until firm – about 5-10 minutes.
- Now for the golden milk center – simply melt down coconut oil then add raw honey and herbs/spices.
- Mix this until a thick and creamy yellow paste is formed.
- Remove chocolate molds from the freezer and add the golden milk truffle batter to the mold, leaving some room on top for more chocolate.
- Place back into the freezer, so the truffle can become firm.
- Remove from freezer after another 5-10 minutes then add your third and final layer of chocolate.
- Freeze until solid – eat and enjoy!
This particular chocolate recipe features powerful tonic herbs that are known for increasing sexual vigor and stamina. But this recipe isn’t just for lovers. Balancing your sex hormones is imperative for overall hormone and neurotransmitter production. The herbs and healthy fats found in this recipe will also support glowing skin and shining hair. And who doesn’t want that?
- 1 cup Cacao Powder
- 1/2 cup Bulletproof Cacao Butter
- 1/2 cup birch xylitol, powdered
- 2 tbsp. Brain Octane Oil
- 1 tbsp. gelatinized maca
- 1 tsp. He Shou Wu
- 1 tsp. Epimedium
- 1 tsp. Cistanche
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Melt your cacao butter in a double-boiler
- Powder your xylitol
- Whisk in Brain Octane and herbs
- Pour into chocolate molds and freeze until solid
The above recipes contain small amounts of ancient Chinese and Indian herbs that are known for their immune-boosting, libido-enhancing, energy-promoting goodness.
Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha is a well-known adaptogenic herb, combinations of which demonstrate anti-cancer activities, possess neuroprotective benefits and may significantly increase muscle mass and strength.[4,5]
He Shou Wu: This root is known in Chinese medicine as a powerful kidney and liver tonic. According to some practitioners, it can help with knee and lower back pain and help boost libido. Studies demonstrate that He Shou Wu is anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic and anti-cancer. It also has been found to act as a preventative for sleep disorders and neurodegenerative disease.
Epimedium: Also known as horny goat weed, this Chinese herb is a centuries-old remedy for erectile dysfunction. Studies concur that epimedium can help with the growth of nervous tissue and can inhibit the degradation of the smooth muscle cells lining the blood vessels in the penis. But this herb is also used for a wide variety of conditions and is popular for its anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties.
Cistanche: Cistanche is used to increase sexual energy in both men and women and is associated with boosting fertility in women. It’s been studied as an anti-aging herb that may improve symptoms of fatigue, memory and increase immune function.
Excited about these recipes? Us, too. Check out more Bulletproof-friendly recipes on Nick’s blog or check out his cookbook, The Foodie Gourmet, which features more than 100 meals using real, whole foods, medicinal herbs and expert cooking techniques – many of them Bulletproof-friendly!