Keto Shrimp Scampi
Keto shrimp scampi recipe & content provided by Ryan Carter, Live Vitae
Need a fast weeknight dinner or meal for two? This keto shrimp scampi won’t disappoint: Since it uses ultra low-carb protein and veggies (plus a generous dose of fats), this meal will make you feel so much better than an ordinary pasta dinner.
Related: You Can Zoodle Everything: 30 Spiralizer Recipes for Paleo & Low-Carb Pasta
You only need six ingredients to make keto shrimp scampi, but this recipe makes the most of their natural flavors and nutrition. Wild-caught shrimp make the ideal light protein source for this dish. Buy your shrimp whole, then remove the shells, devein them, and butterfly them. Save the heads and shells for fish broth if desired, or just get your fishmonger to take care of these steps for you.
Keto shrimp scampi needs pasta, and spiralized zucchini noodles make a delicious low-carb substitute in this recipe. For best results, use a kitchen towel to blot some of the moisture out of the zoodles before cooking them so the final product does not end up watery. Alternatively, you could easily substitute spaghetti squash or zero-carb shirataki noodles. No matter which noodle you choose, they’ll cook in the shrimp juices for an extra flavor boost.
Finish your keto shrimp scampi with a flavorful garnish of fresh parsley and sliced green onions. For a more substantial meal, serve it with fresh greens, a thick slice of keto bread, or a shaved brussels sprouts salad.
Keto Shrimp Scampi
Start to Finish: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons Grass-Fed Ghee
- 6 jumbo wild-caught shrimp, deveined and butterflied
- 2 medium zucchini, spiralized and blotted to remove excess moisture
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon or lime, zested then sliced into wedges
- Flat leaf parsley and sliced green onion to garnish
- Salt to taste
- In a wide saucepan on medium heat, add ghee.
- Once the pan has heated, add shrimp. Ensure enough space between each shrimp, and cook in two batches if needed. Cook shrimp on one side until they begin changing color (about 2 minutes), then turn and continue cooking on the other side. Remove shrimp and repeat cooking as needed until all are finished.
- Add garlic, if using, and cook for 2 minutes until softened.
- Add zoodles and cook for 2 minutes, or until softened.
- Place shrimp back in the pan and remove from heat. Add extra virgin olive oil and citrus zest and stir.
- Divide keto shrimp scampi between two plates. Garnish with fresh parsley and green onion slices, plus lemon wedges for squeezing juice over the top. Season to taste with salt.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
- Calories: 335
- Protein: 19g
- Carbs: 6.1g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sugar: 4.9g
- Net Carbs: 3.6g
- Fat: 26.1g
- Saturated Fat: 9.2g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 13.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 103mg
- Salt: 132.5mg
- Potassium: 515mg
- Vitamin A: 746.5mg
- Vitamin C: 35.1mg
- Calcium: 44.9mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Zinc: 0.6mg
Note on ingredients: Garlic is in the suspect category of the Bulletproof Diet because it inhibits alpha brain waves and could affect your mood – and depending on where you get it, could be moldy. For that reason, it’s not recommended that you eat garlic often.
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter for delicious recipes delivered to your inbox weekly!