Crispy Keto Cauliflower Tots
By: Jordan Pie
Cauliflower tots recipe and images via Jordan Pie
Calling all potato lovers: Cauliflower tots are here to satisfy your spud cravings. A simple blend of cauliflower rice, herbs, and egg make these little bites just as crisp and savory as the original recipe. Plus, they only take minutes to prep.
Many tater tot recipes contain problematic ingredients like hydrogenated oils, breadcrumbs, and pasteurized cheese — all of which can distress your gut or make you feel foggy. This recipe uses keto and paleo staples with none of the inflammatory gluten or dairy.
These tots fry in a heat-safe cooking fat like pastured lard or tallow to get a light and crispy texture. Frying in these heat-safe fats puts them at less risk for oxidation, but it’s still not a cooking approach you should use all the time. Enjoy these Bulletproof-approved cooking methods more often instead.
Serve your cauliflower tots with a homemade tomato sauce (if you don’t have a nightshade sensitivity), creamy avocado butter, or other savory keto condiments.
Crispy Keto Cauliflower Tots
Start to Finish: 25 minutes
- 2 heaping cups riced cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced chives or spring onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large pastured egg
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk
- 1-2 tablespoons almond flour or coconut flour (almond recommended), divided
- Pastured lard or tallow for shallow frying
Note on ingredients: Cauliflower can be moderately high in oxalates — a type of antinutrient that can cause muscle pain, kidney stones, or thyroid imbalances. To reduce oxalates, enjoy cauliflower rice steamed with cooking water drained. Psyllium husk can irritate your gut, so avoid eating it too often.
- In a bowl, add riced cauliflower, thyme, chives or spring onion, salt, egg, psyllium husk, and 1 tablespoon of almond flour and mix until evenly combined. If the mixture is still too crumbly, add an additional tablespoon or two of almond flour and mix again.
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat and add enough of your chosen animal fat to shallow fry the cauliflower tots.
- With your hands, roll the mixture into 14-16 bite-sized tots. Don’t be afraid of how delicate they look, since they will firm up more during cooking.
- Place tots into the hot frying pan and cook on all sides until golden and cooked through. Do this step in two batches if needed to give your tots room to get crispy.
- Remove tots from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- Serve tots warm with your favorite homemade condiments.
Serves: 2 servings
Nutritional Information (7 tots):
- Calories: 259
- Protein: 6.3g
- Carbs: 24.5g
- Fiber: 18.2g
- Sugar: 2.8g
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6g
- Cholesterol: 98mg
- Salt: 672mg
- Net Carbs: 6.3g
- Vitamin D: 7mcg
- Calcium: 77mg
- Potassium: 350mg
Want more recipes?
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter where deliciousness is delivered to your inbox every week!