Keto Hamburger Salad
Hamburger salad recipe and content provided by Sheridan Austin
You don’t need a bun to enjoy a juicy, loaded burger. This hamburger salad gives you the same satisfaction, plus a few upgrades for bistro-worthy flavor without grains or dairy.
Related: Bacon-Wrapped Herb Burgers
You can have this hamburger salad on the table in less than 30 minutes. Spice your ground beef with dried herbs and onion, then serve on a bed of arugula with caramelized onions and bacon pieces. For even more tried and true upgrades in this hamburger salad, you could also add chopped pickles or tomatoes.
No hamburger salad is complete without a dressing, either. You can keep your salad simple with an avocado oil mayo drizzle, or mix mayo with paprika, apple cider vinegar, mustard, stevia drops, and chopped pickles to create your own burger sauce dressing. I mixed my mayo with chipotle powder here to create a quick chipotle aioli.
Serve this hamburger salad with sweet potato fries for a full paleo meal, or a sweet keto and paleo fudge for a low-carb dinner.
Keto Hamburger Salad
Start to Finish: 30 minutes
- 3/4 pound pastured ground beef
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed ghee or coconut oil for cooking
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 slices high-quality pastured bacon
- Optional: Avocado oil mayo or aioli of choice
- Divide yellow onion into quarters. Dice one quarter finely, and cut the remaining quarters into slices. Set slices aside.
- In a bowl, combine chopped onion with garlic, ground beef, and all spices until combined. Divide mixture into four parts, and form the parts into patties.
- In a frying pan on medium heat, add oil or ghee and swirl to coat the pan.
- When pan has heated, add patties and cook until browned on one side. Flip and continue cooking.
- While burgers cook, add remaining onions to the pan. Lightly salt the slices and stir occasionally to caramelize.
- In the same or a different pan, add bacon slices and cook until slightly crisp.
- Divide arugula between two plates, then top with two patties each, caramelized onions, avocado slices, and aioli. Serve hamburger salad warm.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving):
- Calories: 632
- Total Fat: 43g
- Sodium: 694mg
- Carbohydrates: 15.3g
- Dietary Fiber: 8.7g
- Sugars: 0.2g
- Net Carbs: 6.6g
- Protein: 48.7g
- Cholesterol: 134mg
- Potassium: 1262mg
- Calcium: 80mg
- Iron: 30mg
Note on ingredients: Like garlic, onions are in the suspect category of the Bulletproof Diet, because they inhibit alpha brain waves and could affect your mood – and depending on where you get them, could be moldy. For that reason, it’s not recommended that you eat onions often.
Want more recipes?
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter where deliciousness is delivered to your inbox every week!