Here’s How to Make Your Own Keto Cauliflower Sandwich Thins
If you’ve ever hopped on the keto diet train, you probably know about the wonders of cauliflower. This cruciferous veggie can transform into comfort foods like oatmeal, hummus… and even bread, thanks to the latest cauli-trend hitting grocery store shelves.
Cauliflower sandwich thins, a keto alt-bread made from cauliflower, eggs, parmesan cheese, and nutritional yeast (a great source of vitamin B12), offers to satisfy all your carb cravings without the added gluten. These prepackaged bread rounds aren’t just for sandwiches, either: You can use them as hot dog buns, mini pizza crusts, and even tacos.
With cauliflower sandwich thins, you can banish sad lettuce wraps forevermore—but are they worth the hype?
Ingredients in cauliflower sandwich thins
With four ingredients and 1 net carb a piece, cauliflower sandwich thins look promising. Since this bread alternative cuts out gluten, grains, and preservatives, you can stick to your macros and avoid the carb crash that comes with conventional bread.
You should approach packaged keto-friendly foods with caution, though, since ingredient quality can vary. These sandwich thins are no exception. For starters, the recipe in the prepackaged version includes parmesan—an ingredient that can still trigger allergies and inflammation. Despite the low carbs, cheese still contains oxidized fats and lactose that can make you feel foggy and fatigued.
In addition to cheese, OG cauliflower sandwich thins also contain nutritional yeast. While it adds a savory, cheesy flavor to recipes, it isn’t doing you any favors from a nutritional standpoint—and may even alter your gut biome. So, if you’re concerned about the potential downfalls of dirty keto vs. clean keto, going with a store-bought version may not be the best option.
Good news: You can still make cauliflower sandwich thins from the comfort of home, thanks to the clean-eating recipe below.
How to make your own 4-ingredient cauliflower sandwich thins
This recipe makes savory flat rounds for all your bread cravings—all with just four ingredients. Special thanks to Jordan Pie for the recipe and photography!
Keto Cauliflower Sandwich Thins
- 3 cups riced cauliflower
- 2 pastured eggs
- ½ cup blanched almond flour
- ½ tsp salt
- Optional: Your favorite herbs and spices, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Dollop 2 heaped tablespoons of the cauliflower mixture onto a lined baking tray and use your hands to mold and shape the mixture into a round circle, similar to a fritter. Repeat this process until all of the mixture has been used. You should make 8 rounds total.
- Place the trays in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip each round over. Return trays too the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve with your favorite fillings, or cool and store in a covered container in the fridge.
- Calories: 70
- Fat: 5 g
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter for delicious recipes delivered to your inbox weekly!
More Keto Recipes from Bulletproof
- Crispy Keto Cauliflower Tots
- Easy Cauliflower Tortillas
- Keto Instant Pot Recipes
- Fluffy Keto Buns for Burgers and More
Note on ingredients for the Bulletproof Diet: Cauliflower can be moderately high in oxalates—a type of antinutrient that can cause muscle pain, kidney stones, or thyroid imbalances. To reduce oxalates, enjoy cauliflower rice steamed with cooking water drained.
Except for coconut, all nuts are considered “suspect” on the Bulletproof Diet because of their high levels of omega-6 fats that can oxidize and contribute to inflammation.
Nuts are also susceptible to mold and contain lectins, nutrient-sapping compounds that can be tough on your gut. Use nuts in moderation, or remove them from your diet and reintroduce in small amounts to test your sensitivity.