Sugar-free Bulletproof Pumpkin Spice Latte
Ah, the Pumpkin Spice Latte – the harbinger of fall. For many, this is the drink that makes an entire season. But even as an occasional fall treat, there’s a couple of issues with the traditional PSL.
Sugar messes with your energy and makes you crash
The traditional Pumpkin Spice Latte can contain up to 64 grams of sugar (in a 20 oz. cup)! That’s about 12 teaspoons. No wonder these things are so addictive. But sugar is not part of a healthy diet. While balance is necessary and shame is a no-no (hey, we all indulge sometimes), you can replace the sugar in your diet with alternatives that support healthy hormones and battle unwanted weight gain.
Um, there’s no pumpkin in there
Pumpkin and its orange, yellow, and red plant brothers are packed with nutrients that feed your brain and support your vision. These rich colors translate to high beta-carotene content, a potent antioxidant and a precursor for the essential fat-soluble vitamin A. Just one cup of cooked pumpkin contains more than 200% of your recommended daily intake of vitamin A, which is crucial for keeping your eyes young and your bones, skin, and other connective tissue strong. Pumpkin also contains decent levels of lutein and zeaxanthin, antioxidants that support eye and brain health.
Bulletproof Pumpkin Spice Latte
Makes: 4-6 cups
NOTE: The Bulletproof Pumpkin Spice Un-Latte is a warm, delicious treat we like to bust out during colder months; but it’s not ideal for everyday. For your best performance all day long, stick with your classic Bulletproof Coffee.
- 3-4 cups plain brewed Bulletproof Coffee
- 1 ¼ cup full fat, unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tbsp. Brain Octane Oil
- 3 tbsp. organic pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp. grass-fed unsalted butter or ghee, softened
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Optional: 1-2 tsp. xylitol or stevia (to taste)
- Optional: 2 tbsp. raw whipped cream or whipped coconut cream on top
- Prepare a pumpkin spice base for your latte. Using a stand mixer, whisk, or hand mixer, cream together the pumpkin puree, Brain Octane, butter, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and xylitol. The fats should be well-incorporated into the pumpkin, and the mixture should look a lot like pumpkin pie filling. (You can also double this recipe or make it ahead of time, and store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Stir before using.)
- In a small saucepan on low heat, add coconut milk and warm gently.
- In a high-speed blender, add pumpkin spice base, brewed coffee, and warmed coconut milk. Blend on high for 30 seconds, or until creamy and frothy. If you don’t have a blender, combine all the components in a saucepan and blend with a whisk or stick blender — it will still taste amazing but not be so frothy.
- Pour into mugs and serve with raw whipped cream or whipped coconut cream, if desired.
It’s important to feel like you can have a treat now and then without spiraling into a blood sugar mayhem. Stick to this recipe and the healthy fats will give you energy for hours and the mini dose of pumpkin adds some nutrients to your morning.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving):
- Calories: 197
- Total Fat: 18g
- Protein: 1.9g
- Sugars: 1.7g
- Net Carbs: 4.2g
Enjoy this recipe? There are tons where that came from. Get the latest biohacking updates and brand new Bulletproof recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up below.
Join over 1 million fans
Sign-up for the Bulletproof mailing list and receive the latest news and updates!