Upgrade Your July 4th With Blueberry Gelato and Hot Sauce!
Happy Independence Day!
As far as holidays go, the Fourth of July is pretty great. In addition to celebrating American independence, tradition dictates that you spend a good portion of the day out in the sun, soaking up vitamin D and eating delicious burgers, hot dogs, and steaks – grass-fed and cooked right, of course. (Check out the Bulletproof Diet Roadmap for free here).
Enjoy the sun, spend time with family and friends, drink responsibly (or don’t drink at all), and celebrate an upgraded Fourth of July with these tasty recipes.
Bulletproof Hot Sauce
If you like it hot, this recipe is for you. It’s great on burgers, or as a dipping sauce for steak. It’s also a fiery addition to rice. The peppers are spicy and vibrant, the avocado is creamy, and the grapefruit rounds everything off with a tangy sweetness.
NOTE: if you’re sensitive to nightshades, you may want to opt for one of these sauces instead.
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded
- 2 orange habanero peppers, seeded
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. Brain Octane oil
- 1 avocado
- 1 handful cilantro
- 3 – 4 scallions
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of ½ grapefruit
- 1 tsp. xylitol
- salt, to taste
Blend everything but the avocado together, then throw the avocado in and blend until smooth. This will make enough to last you and a few friends all day.
Bulletproof Blueberry Gelato
What would July 4th be without dessert?
Blueberries are antioxidant powerhouses, and the anthocyanins that give them their brilliant blue color also increase HDL (good cholesterol) and fight inflammation. This recipe uses coconut milk to keep things light and refreshing. Be sure you get organic blueberries – non-organic ones are high in pesticide residue, particularly if they’re grown in the U.S.
- 10 oz. organic blueberries
- 5 oz. (1 can) coconut milk
- 3 tbsp. Brain Octane oil
- 2 egg yolks from pastured hens
- Pinch of powdered vanilla
- 3 tbsp. xylitol
- 2 grams (2000 mg) ascorbic acid, for tartness (ascorbic acid is vitamin C; if you take it as a supplement you can just break open a couple capsules)
- Put everything in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the blended mix into an ice cube tray (silicone is best) and stick in the freezer for 3 hours, stirring every hour (or use an ice cream maker, if you have one).
- Once frozen, put the cubes back in the blender and blend briefly, just until smooth.
Let's Get Cookin'!
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter for delicious recipes delivered to your inbox weekly!