It’s Time to Love Yourself: How to Design a Self-Care Plan
- Self-care is essential for your overall health and wellness. It’s time dedicated solely to taking care of yourself, without any distractions.
- One of the best ways to practice self-care is in the kitchen. Eating and preparing nutrient-rich foods gives your body the energy it needs to thrive.
- You can also incorporate self-care practices into your daily routine, whether that’s taking a quick walk outside, practicing yoga or journaling at night before bed.
It’s time to take care of number one. Self-care is exactly what the name implies: taking good care of yourself in every way possible, which includes your physical health, emotional health and mental health. And while self-care has certainly gotten more attention in recent years, it’s more than just a passing phase. Self-care is a necessity, and it’s here to stay. Here’s how to design a self-care plan that’s right for you.
Why is self-care important?
Today, we’re faced with an ever-increasing number of tasks and stressors, which can feel almost impossible to juggle all at once—and the risk of burnout is real. Self-care involves taking a step back from all the chaos and busyness of your life to spend some time focused solely on yourself.
Removing yourself from the hustle and bustle of everyday life offers a chance to rest, re-charge, rejuvenate and check in with yourself. It can help you feel better, manage your stress, establish a better work-life balance, and even improve your quality of life.
Even better? Self-care coping strategies can be as simple as going for a short walk, tidying up or enjoying a treat that tastes good and makes you feel even better (like a Bulletproof Chocolate Bar).
How diet impacts self-care
You already know that your diet affects your overall health. But it’s also important to remember that what you eat and drink on a regular basis affects your mood, your mental health, your energy levels and, more broadly, how much you feel like yourself.
One of the best ways to support your overall health and well-being is to be intentional about your diet and fuel your body with healthy, nutrient-rich foods.
Self-care starts in the kitchen
A diet fueled with high-quality fats can improve your energy levels and give you more fuel to pursue self-care activities. That’s because your body needs fat to function at its peak. Fat plays a role in brain health, hormonal function, and even mood. Eating more quality fats—like Bulletproof MCT Oil, olive oil, eggs and wild-caught fish—gives you the building blocks to feel your best.
And if you didn’t already know, the Bulletproof Coffee recipe has everything you need to start your day off right. Make it with Bulletproof Grass-Fed Ghee, Bulletproof Brain Octane C8 MCT Oil (or new Bulletproof Original Creamer) for a drink that not only tastes great, but also leaves you feeling satisfied and energized.
Cooking as a form of self-care
Cooking and baking can also be therapeutic self-care practices. When you cook and bake for yourself, you’re nourishing your body and providing yourself with a creative outlet that’s accompanied by a delicious finale.
Preparing meals (and desserts) for others can also be good coping strategies for your stress levels—and you’ll feel good knowing you put a smile on the face of a loved one.
Need some inspiration in the kitchen? Consider these fun and easy recipes to get started:
- Collagen Breakfast Cookies: Start your day with these delicious breakfast cookies, which are full of quality fats and collagen protein that help support healthy skin, bones and joints.
- Grain-Free Granola: For a nourishing snack, try this granola sans grains, which incorporates tasty nuts like cashews, Brazil nuts and almonds, and pairs well with dairy-free coconut yogurt or fresh berries.
- Instant Pot Chicken: Make a batch of this Instant Pot meal-prep chicken on Sunday, then savor it all week long in lettuce wraps, soups or just straight out of the fridge (yes, it’s that delicious!).
- Keto Peppermint Mocha: There’s nothing more relaxing and indulgent than curling up on the couch after a long day with a steaming mug of keto peppermint mocha. Skip the coffee if you’re having it at night—or enjoy clean Bulletproof Original Decaf in its place.
How to create a self-care plan
Creating a self-care plan from scratch may feel overwhelming, but your template can start with coping skills that are as simple as going to bed 30 minutes early or setting a goal for how much water you drink throughout the day.
Wondering how to get started? We’ve put together a few simple self-care ideas you can easily incorporate into your self-care plan:
1. Set aside the time for yourself
You might think you’re too busy. But even the most jam-packed schedule should include time for self-care. Whether that’s once a week or once a month, scheduling self-care is just as important as maintaining your work or social calendar. At the beginning of the week or month, sit down and pencil in time that’s just for you—even if it’s only a short window of time, you’ll thank yourself for prioritizing your own emotional needs.
2. Explore different self-care activities
There’s no one-size-fits-all approach to self-care. The important thing is that you’re participating in an activity that makes you feel happy, refreshed and fulfilled. Your self-care activities may include a facial, organizing your junk drawer, spending time with your pets, baking a batch of brownies, starting a new craft project, a physical activity like running or something else entirely. As long as you’re doing something that makes you feel good and healthy, you’re practicing self-care.
Be open to pursuing new skills, too. Your self-care routine can include tried-and-true activities that you already love, but it’s also a good time to step outside your comfort zone. Brainstorm something you can try that’s totally new and different, like flotation therapy, rock climbing, woodworking, birdwatching or following a new recipe. Discovering a new hobby can be a form of self-care in and of itself.
3. Learn what fulfills you (and understand what doesn’t)
Your best friend may love heading to the spa, but maybe you’ve realized that you feel uncomfortable and you can’t really relax while you’re getting a massage. And that’s okay. Your self-care needs may look a lot different than someone else’s. Self-care is all about doing what feels best to you—not anyone else. If something is not serving you, set it free. Life is too short to spend time doing things that do not make you happy.
Do you ever feel like a million different thoughts are swimming around in your head? Set aside time to jot all those thoughts down, be it once a day or whenever you start to feel overwhelmed by all of life’s stressors. In addition to supporting your emotional health, journaling is also a good way to track what’s working and what’s not working during your self-care journey. To hone your self-care strategies, take notes about how one activity makes you feel versus another.
5. Practice mindfulness
It’s time to tap into your inner self and be completely present in the moment. There are tons of ways to practice mindfulness, including meditation, taking a scenic walk or simply unplugging from social media for a few hours. Give them all a try to determine which works and feels the best for you.
6. Banish negative self-talk
A lot of us have that little voice inside our head that makes us feel like we’re not good enough. As you’re thinking through your self-care ideas, pay close attention to how you talk to yourself. Show yourself compassion and love—the way you’d talk to a friend.
Foods and supplements to support self-care
Whether you work on your feet all day or have been going exceptionally hard with workouts or outdoor activities, prioritizing your physical recovery is an important aspect of self-care and overall wellness. In addition to eating plenty of nutrient-rich, healthy foods, you can show your body an extra bit of love with specific supplements. If you’re interested in supplementing your regular diet to boost your self-care, consider these tried and tested Bulletproof products:
- Collagen replenishment: Collagen is your body’s natural way of rejuvenating itself. This protein plays a role throughout your body, from maintaining joint health to support healthy skin. You can help make sure your body is getting all the collagen it needs with foods like Bulletproof Cold Brew Latte, which contains 8 grams of collagen protein and is perfect for when you’re on the go. You can also add Bulletproof Collagen Protein to your favorite smoothies or coffee for an easy protein boost or snack on a Bulletproof Collagen Protein Bar for a delicious and beneficial treat.
- Wind-down support: Getting enough sleep is essential for your overall well-being. If you need a little help winding down at the end of the day, Bulletproof Zen Mode can help you de-stress,† while Bulletproof Sleep Mode can help propel you toward a good night’s rest.†
- Gut health maintenance: Your gut is full of tiny organisms that help keep your body functioning in tip-top shape. If your gut microbiome is out of whack, you’ll feel less like yourself, which is why gut health is so important for self-care. Need a little help maintaining your gut health? Bulletproof InnerFuel Prebiotic can feed the good bacteria in your gut as it provides overall immune support,† while Bulletproof Gut Health Collagen Protein bolsters a happy, healthy gut microbiome.†
- Omega-3s for overall wellness: Omega-3 fatty acids, like the ones found in Bulletproof Omega Krill Complex, provide support for your heart, brain and joints.† This formula also contains antioxidants to fight free radicals, which is a key part of healthy aging.†
The bottom line: Self-care is more than just a trendy catchphrase—it’s a way of life. Taking care of your body, mind and spirit should always be a top priority so that you can be the best version of yourself. Keep your self-care needs at top of mind, and you’ll feel energized and ready to tackle every item on your to-do list, no matter what life throws at you.
Feeling overwhelmed on the regular? Learn about vitamins and supplements for stress management to help you get into a better headspace.
Sign up for early access to sales, product launches, the latest Bulletproof news and more!