Taco Lettuce Wraps
Whether you’re celebrating Taco Tuesday or cooking a family-friendly weeknight dinner, these taco lettuce wraps will even have tortilla loyalists seeking seconds. This Mexican-inspired main dish is an easy recipe that requires just 10 minutes of prep time and a short list of paleo-friendly ingredients like lean ground beef, avocado, cilantro and tomatoes. Plus, saying adiós to taco shells for lettuce leaves makes this recipe perfect for anyone on a low-carb meal plan.
The key to turning humble ground beef (or even ground turkey) into tasty taco meat? Choosing the right spices. Our homemade taco seasoning includes pantry staples like cumin, chili powder and garlic powder, along with ancho chili powder for added smokiness. (Paprika works well as a substitute.)
First, saute the beef in Bulletproof Grass-Fed Ghee to start building layers of flavor before you add the spices and other ingredients. Once it’s had a few more minutes of cook time to reach crispy perfection, remove the mixture from the heat. Then, get ready to impress everyone with a zesty avocado crema made with Bulletproof Brain Octane C8 MCT Oil, lime and coconut cream that puts traditional sour cream to shame.
All that’s left is to arrange your lineup of romaine lettuce leaves, fill them with the seasoned ground beef and then garnish with cilantro, green onions and a drizzle of crema. You can also try other toppings like fresh jalapeno, diced avocado or finely chopped red onion to further elevate this easy dinner recipe.
Taco Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp ancho chili powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp Bulletproof Grass-Fed Ghee
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 4-6 leaves Romaine lettuce (rinsed and dried)
- ½ cup tomatoes (diced)
- ¼ cup cilantro (chopped)
- ¼ cup green onions (chopped)
- 2-4 wedges lime (optional)
Avocado Crema Ingredients
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- 1 tbsp Bulletproof Brain Octane C8 MCT Oil
- Salt (to taste)
- In a small dish, mix together the spices and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the Grass-Fed Ghee. When it glistens, add the ground beef, breaking it apart with a spoon. Cook the beef for about 6-8 minutes, or until it is almost cooked through.
- Stir in the tomato paste and spices. Cook for 1-2 more minutes, or until the meat is done. Remove the mixture from the heat.
- Combine all of the avocado crema ingredients in a blender or food processor. Pulse until it is smooth and creamy.
- Arrange the Romaine hearts on a serving platter. Spoon the ground beef on the lettuce, then top with the avocado crema, tomatoes, cilantro and green onions. Serve with fresh lime wedges for a vibrant finish.
- Calories: 493
- Fat: 41 g
- Protein: 22 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Sugar: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Net Carbs: 4 g
- Sodium: 686 mg
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter for delicious recipes delivered to your inbox weekly!