Kickstart your day with a keto breakfast that’ll take you back to the days of waiting for your toaster to work its magic in the morning. Not only are these homemade pop-tarts fun to make, but they’re gluten-free, packed with quality fats and much lower in net carbs than the store-bought version.
In fact, it only takes 20 minutes of prep time to assemble all the components of these keto pop-tarts. To start, the delicious pastry dough contains almond flour, coconut flour and Bulletproof Vanilla Collagen Protein, which supports healthy bones, joints and muscles.† Plus, Bulletproof Grass-Fed Ghee (an excellent source of quality fats) helps the pie crust achieve flaky perfection. Meanwhile, the super-simple strawberry jam filling is perfectly authentic thanks to a few tablespoons of monk fruit-erythritol sweetener, plus xanthan gum to thicken the mixture.
To make this keto pastry come to life, you’ll need a baking tray, a few pieces of parchment paper and a little bit of patience. Carefully roll out and divide the pastry dough, spoon the strawberry jam, add the top layer of dough and apply an egg wash to ensure a crispy, golden-brown crust.
Of course, a proper pop-tart recipe needs a glaze. While ours isn’t totally sugar-free due to the freeze-dried strawberry powder, using a Bulletproof-approved sweetener such as stevia or monk fruit keeps things as keto-friendly as possible. Just make sure to let the pop-tarts reach room temperature before you start drizzling—and devouring!
- 10 oz strawberries (sliced)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 3 tbsp powdered monk fruit-erythritol blend
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/3 cup powdered monk fruit-erythritol blend
- 1 tbsp freeze-dried strawberry powder (plus more for garnish)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, Vanilla Collagen Protein, powdered sweetener, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum. Mix the dry ingredients together well to remove any lumps.
- Use a large whisk to mix in the melted Ghee and eggs. Knead until well combined.
- Divide the dough in half and roll each half into a ball. Wrap each portion in a large sheet of parchment paper. Place the dough in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- While the dough chills, make the strawberry filling. In a medium saucepan, combine the fresh strawberries with the apple cider vinegar and powdered sweetener. Heat for 10 minutes over medium heat until the berries break down. Stir and mash them with a spoon every few minutes. Remove the mixture from the heat and whisk in the xanthan gum until it is well combined. Set the filling aside to cool and thicken.
- Remove the dough from the freezer. Unwrap the first portion of the dough, spreading the parchment onto a flat work surface. Place the dough in the center and set a second sheet of parchment paper on top of the dough. Use a rolling pin to roll it into a rectangular shape, about ¼-inch thick. Note: Fold the edges over on tops of themselves and roll the dough to flatten, as this will help keep a straight edge.
- Cut the dough into an 8-by-6-inch rectangle. Then, cut it in half lengthwise and across widthwise to make four smaller rectangles.
- Carefully spread out the rectangles so they are at least 1 inch apart. Gently lift the bottom sheet of parchment paper (holding the dough) onto a baking sheet.
- Roll out the second portion of dough to make four equal rectangles to create the tops of the pastries. Roll out the leftover dough to make two more rectangles. You will have 10 total.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of strawberry filling onto each of the five pop-tart bases. Spread it evenly on the rectangle but leave a ½-inch gap around the edges. Place a rectangle on top of each to form the top half of the pop-tarts.
- With your fingers, gently press the dough together along the edges. Dip a fork in water and press the fork on the edges to seal together the top and bottom halves. Then, use the fork to poke 3-4 rows of vent holes on top of each pop-tart.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until the edges turn golden-brown. Remove from the oven and let the pop-tarts cool completely.
- Combine all of the glaze ingredients in a small dish. Whisk together and drizzle equal amounts of the glaze on top of the cooled pop-tarts. Garnish with a sprinkle of freeze-dried strawberry pieces or powder.
- Calories: 560
- Fat: 36 g
- Protein: 19 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sugar Alcohols: 19 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Net Carbs: 12 g
- Sodium: 157 mg
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter for delicious recipes delivered to your inbox weekly!