Keto Pavlova Recipe
By: Jordan Pie
Keto pavlova recipe and photos via Jordan Pie
Are you familiar with the wonderful world of pavlovas? This recipe traditionally whips egg whites with white sugar and cornstarch to create a fluffy, meringue-like base for berries and whipped cream. This version swaps out the sugar, yet still turns out light and luscious.
People tend to make their pavlova recipes around Christmas or Easter, but they are easy enough to prepare all year round. A crisp exterior and frothy, almost marshmallow-like interior make this dessert perfect for pairing with creamy toppings and fresh fruit.
This pavlova recipe gets a creamy upgrade from a variation on Dave’s Keto Coconut Vanilla Sauce. Fresh lemon juice and zest in the sauce add the perfect amount of tang that balances the sweet flavor in this dessert. Garnish with low-fructose berries, fresh mint, citrus zest, or chocolate shavings for an out-of-this-world treat.
In a traditional pavlova, making the recipe the same day you want to eat it helps to preserve its crisp exterior (especially if you live in a humid area). However, you can make the base and cream in this version up to a day in advance and assemble it right before serving.
Keto Pavlova Recipe
Start to Finish: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 5 egg whites, room temperature
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup non-GMO erythritol, birch xylitol, or a blend such as Lakanto
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour (optional, but helps to stabilize meringue)
- Zest of 3 lemons
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 1 can (400ml, or about 13.6 ounces) coconut cream (not coconut milk)
- 7 tablespoons grass-fed butter, softened and cubed
- 1-5 leftover egg yolks (for whipped topping, optional)
- 3-4 tablespoons erythritol or xylitol, or more to taste
- 4-6 tablespoons powdered sunflower lecithin
Use extra yolks to make avocado oil mayonnaise or keto vanilla ice cream!
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Add the egg whites and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer fit with the whisk attachment. Begin whipping the egg whites on a low speed and gradually increase to a medium speed. When the egg whites begin to look foamy, add in your chosen sweetener one tablespoon at a time.
- Once all of the sweetener has been incorporated, increase the speed to high and whip until stiff peaks form and the meringue mixture is glossy and the sweetener is fully dissolved. You can rub some of the meringue mixture in between your fingers to feel if the sweetener has fully dissolved. If it has not dissolved, keep mixing until it is fully incorporated.
- Remove the mixing bowl from the machine. With a rubber spatula, fold in the apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and tapioca flour (if using).
- Scoop the meringue mixture onto the prepared baking tray and use the spatula to spread it into a circular or oval shape.
- Place the meringue in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 250 degrees. Bake for 70-75 minutes.
- After 70-75 minutes, turn the oven off and crack it open with the handle of a wooden spoon. Let the meringue sit and cool inside the oven for 30-60 minutes.
- While pavlova cools (or up to 1 day in advance), prepare whipped topping. Add all remaining ingredients to a blender and blitz until smooth and creamy. Pour into a glass container and refrigerate until set.
- Once set, add cream mixture back to the blender and gently blend through to remove any lumps.
- To serve, add pavlova to a platter and spoon the whipped topping evenly over the top. Garnish with toppings like fresh berries, mint leaves, and lemon zest.
Makes: 8-10 servings
Nutritional Information (1 slice):
- Calories: 284
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 11.5g
- Cholesterol: 103mg
- Salt: 107mg
- Carbs: 15g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Sugar: 17.2g
- Protein: 3.7g
- Sugar Alcohols: 12.5g
- Net Carbs: 1g
- Vitamin D: 13mcg
- Calcium: 23mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Potassium: 139mg
Want more recipes?
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter where deliciousness is delivered to your inbox every week!