Chocolate Keto Lava Cake
Keto lava cake recipe & content via Chef Vanessa Musi
This keto lava cake recipe is foolproof. It tastes just as rich and chocolatey as conventional recipes, but keeps every bite gluten free with ingredients like almond flour and ghee. This dessert for two is perfect for Valentine’s Day or a date night at home.
Related: Low-Carb Chocolate Candies
As a pastry chef, I have always loved molten chocolate cakes. They were very popular when I was studying to culinary arts, and every great restaurant had their version. Now that I follow a keto and paleo lifestyle, I dreamed up this keto lava cake and love it just as much as the traditional recipes.
Since this keto lava cake contains a short list of ingredients, keep everything high-quality. Good chocolate and vanilla will shine in this recipe! The key in preparing this dessert is to avoid overbaking — you will bake just enough to mold the outside of cake, but not enough to cook it fully.
Make a complete meal and serve keto chocolate cake with savory low-carb dishes like steak with chimichurri sauce and mashed cauliflower.
Chocolate Keto Lava Cake
Start to Finish: 20 minutes
- 2 ounces (55g) high-quality chocolate, 85% cocoa
- 1 tablespoon (8g) almond flour
- 2 ounces (56g) Grass-Fed Ghee, plus more for greasing
- 2 pastured eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons powdered erythritol monk fruit blend, such as Lakanto
- 1 tablespoon granulated erythritol monk fruit blend
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 cup 85% chocolate chunks
- Optional: Maldon salt, almond butter, fresh raspberries or powdered coconut milk, for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two ramekins very generously with ghee.
- In a small saucepan on low heat, melt the two ounces of chocolate and ghee and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a mixer or by hand with a whisk, beat eggs, vanilla, and salt until frothy.
- Add the egg mixture to the chocolate mixture, along with almond flour and sweetener. Mix until combined.
- Fill two ramekins halfway with the batter. Add chocolate chunks, then cover with remaining batter.
- Bake 9 minutes, or until tops are set but still jiggly. Cook time will vary on oven and the size of your ramekins. Lava cake will appear raw, but it sets very quickly -- avoid overbaking, since it will produce a dry and gummy cake.
- Allow keto lava cakes to cool for a minute before inverting onto serving plates (use an angled spatula if necessary).
- Serve immediately with suggested garnishes.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
- Calories: 559
- Fat: 52g
- Saturated Fat: 30g
- Cholesterol: 221mg
- Salt: 62mg
- Carbs: 27.9g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Sugar: 2.3g
- Sugar Alcohols: 18g
- Net Carbs: 4.4g
- Protein: 9.7g
- Vitamin D: 15mcg
- Calcium: 24mg
- Iron: 5mg
- Potassium: 62mg
Want more recipes?
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter where deliciousness is delivered to your inbox every week!