Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin
Ready to take your side dish game to the next level? While this Brussels sprouts au gratin doesn’t contain any grated Gruyère or Parmesan cheese, you won’t miss them one bit. Instead, this tasty recipe uses Bulletproof Original Creamer to create a creamy sauce that coats crispy roasted Brussels sprouts in savory perfection.
Prep time will be dedicated to two components: getting the veggies ready and creating the “cheese sauce.” Sliced onions sautéed in Bulletproof Grass-Fed Ghee will serve as the first layer of flavor. Once you add the cooked onions and Brussels sprouts to a casserole dish, it will be time to get saucy.
Although this recipe doesn’t contain a single drop of heavy cream or a shred of cheese, the sauce still has an authentic au gratin mouthfeel. Original Creamer (made with grass-fed butter and MCT oil), unsweetened almond milk and coconut cream come together beautifully, and salt, black pepper, thyme and nutmeg add flavor and depth.
Once the sauce has achieved the right consistency, simply toss it in with the veggies and let your oven do the rest of the work. Of course, a proper au gratin must have a crispy, golden-brown finish, with added crunch. Instead of using breadcrumbs or panko, we keep things keto-friendly by sprinkling crushed pork rinds over the top.
If you’re looking for a new side dish that’ll quickly become a family favorite, it’s time to integrate the best Brussels sprouts (ever!) into your dinner rotation.
Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin
- 2 tbsp Bulletproof Grass-Fed Ghee
- 1 small onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts (trimmed and quartered)
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 scoops Bulletproof Original Creamer
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¾ cup pork rinds (crushed)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Clean and trim the Brussels sprouts, removing the outer leaves.
- Scoop the Ghee into a skillet set over medium heat. Once melted, add the sliced onions and cook for 5-8 minutes until softened.
- Place the Brussels sprouts into a rectangular, 10-inch-by-7-inch baking dish (or something similar).
- When the onions are done cooking, transfer them into the baking dish with the Brussels sprouts.
- In the same skillet, add the coconut cream, almond milk and Creamer. Whisk until smooth.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, dried thyme and nutmeg. Bring the sauce to a low simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour the sauce into the baking dish with the skillet and onions. Toss the vegetables with the sauce until they are evenly coated.
- Transfer the dish to the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the crushed pork rinds on top. Return the dish to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Let the Brussel sprouts au gratin cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 263
- Fat: 20 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Sugar: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Net Carbs: 9 g
- Sodium: 760 mg
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter for delicious recipes delivered to your inbox weekly!