Paleo Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Sweet potato pie recipe & content provided by Joshua Weissman
Make this sweet potato pie recipe when you need a sweet and starchy change up from classic pumpkin pie. Since it uses paleo-friendly ingredients, you can savor every bite knowing it has no gluten, grains, or sugar.
Related: No-Bake Paleo Keto Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin pie is a holiday standard — but you might want to incorporate this sweet potato pie recipe in your rotation, too. With more starch than pumpkin, sweet potatoes give this pie more mouthfeel, along with a less pungent flavor and a touch more sweetness. In fact, this sweet potato pie recipe contains so much natural sweetness that you can use less stevia or other sweeteners.
Make this easy sweet potato pie recipe and pair it with a warm cup of turmeric bone broth, a hot chai tea latte… or just a simple dollop of whipped coconut cream.
Paleo Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Start to Finish: 1 hour 40 minutes (20 minutes active)
- 3/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup grass-fed butter or Grass-Fed Ghee, cold, plus more for greasing
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1.25 pounds whole sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup grass-fed butter or ghee, softened
- 1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut milk (BPA-free)
- 1/8 teaspoon powdered stevia
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare sweet potatoes first. Heat oven to 425 degrees and roast potatoes skin-on for 45 minutes, or until soft. Remove from the oven and set aside until they are cool enough to handle. Lower oven heat to 350 degrees.
- While sweet potatoes roast, prepare crust. Combine all crust ingredients except water in a food processor. Pulse until evenly incorporated.
- Add mixture to a bowl and drizzle in water while mixing until it comes together, using extra water if necessary. Add enough water until it resembles a normal pie crust — avoid adding too much water. If it gets too wet, then add a bit more coconut flour until it comes together,
- Grease a 9-inch pie plate with butter or ghee, then press dough into the plate. Set aside.
- When sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel off the skins and mash until smooth.
- Whisk remaining filling ingredients into the mashed sweet potato and mix until smooth.
- Pour filling into the pie crust. Bake sweet potato pie for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Makes: Serves 6-8
Nutritional Information (Per Serving):
- Calories: 337
- Fat: 21.7g
- Saturated Fat: 14.3g
- Cholesterol: 82mg
- Carbs: 32.2g
- Fiber: 9.4g
- Sugar: .9g
- Sugar Alcohols: 0g
- Net Carbs: 22.8g
- Protein: 5.4g
- Vitamin D: 14mcg
- Calcium: 26mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Potassium: 688mg
Note on ingredients: Nutmeg is often high in mold toxins, and contains its own onboard toxins that you can feel even in small amounts. When you do use nutmeg, get a high-quality brand and enjoy it sparingly.
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter for delicious recipes delivered to your inbox weekly!