Low-carb and ketogenic diets limit refined sugars and processed foods, which typically removes nostalgic desserts from the equation. However, we’re always up for a new challenge, which is why we’ve created our very own Bulletproof version of keto s’mores!
Our smore’s recipe is macro-friendly, and features all three components: keto marshmallows, an upgrade from keto graham crackers and, of course, keto chocolate bars!
To start, the marshmallows make great use of our Bulletproof Collagelatin (a collagen and gelatin blend). These decadent ‘mallows are then sandwiched between a delicious, dairy-free, nut-free and egg-free coconut shortbread—instead of traditional, high-carb graham crackers—along with a few squares of decadent Bulletproof Milk-Style Chocolate Bars. And yes, you get to melt them for some ooey, gooey deliciousness—not bad for a keto dessert!
Pro tip: If keto smore’s feel like a whole lotta work, we have the perfect dessert hack! Once you’ve made your marshmallows, slice into a Bulletproof Vanilla Cookie Chocolate Dipped Collagen Bar, which allows you to skip the shortbread graham and chocolate bar, altogether. Simply halve the bar, sandwich your marshmallow, sink your teeth in, and pure, sticky, lick-your-fingers bliss is soon to follow.
Start to Finish: 2 Hours
- 4 Tbsp. Bulletproof Collagelatin
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. birch xylitol
- 1/4/-1/2 tsp. vanilla powder
Keto Graham Cracker Coconut Shortbread
- 3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. coconut flour
- 3/4 cup Bulletproof Grass-Fed Ghee or butter, diced and cold
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2-3 Tbsp. birch xylitol
- 2 squares Bulletproof Original Milk-Style Chocolate Bars (or your keto-friendly chocolate bar of choice)
- Add the Collagelatin and water into a saucepan. Whisk to combine and remove any lumps. Set aside for a few minutes to allow the Collagelatin to absorb some of the water.
- Add the xylitol and vanilla into the saucepan on low-medium heat for a few minutes, or until the Collagelatin and xylitol has completely dissolved.
- Remove from the heat, and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Using an electric beater,, beat the mixture for approximately 8 minutes, or until the marshmallow mixture has increased in size and looks silky smooth, glossy and has some small bubbles. Tip: If the mixture cools down too quickly and you beat the mix for too long, it may begin to set and form a slightly chunky texture. Don’t worry, though. Simply pop the saucepan back onto the stovetop and heat for 30 seconds-1 minute on very-low heat to melt a bit. Then, stir together. Remove from heat and beat again for a few more minutes, until the marshmallow mix is silky-smooth, glossy and has small bubbles forming.
- Pour the mixture into a lined bread loaf tin, or a container of a similar size.
- Place in the fridge to set, approximately 1 hour.
Keto Graham Cracker Coconut Shortbread
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add coconut flour, ghee (or cold, cubed butter), xylitol and baking soda into a food processor, and blitz to combine evenly. Blend in ½-1 Tbsp. of extra coconut flour, if needed; try not to add more, as the coconut flour will absorb the butter (liquid) after a few minutes.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on the countertop. Use a spatula to get the dough out of the food processor and place it on top of the parchment paper. Shape it into a ‘rough’ rectangle. Place another piece of parchment paper on top, and use a rolling pin to roll it out into an even rectangle.
- Use a knife to slice the dough into 12 squares or rectangles (approximately the size of 4 or 6 squares of the Bulletproof Chocolate bars) and remove the excess, uneven edges of the dough. Re-roll the excess dough.
- Place the tray of pre-sliced coconut shortbread graham squares into the oven, and bake for 12-13 minutes, or until golden-brown.
- Once the shortbread is cooked, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool completely. DO NOT TOUCH until it has cooled completely, or it will crumble.
- Remove the marshmallow mixture from the fridge and bring to room temperature (these marshmallows have the best texture when at room temperature).
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- Once the graham cracker shortbread has cooled and set, place three of the squares onto a lined baking tray. Place 4-6 squares (whichever fits best on top) of your keto-friendly chocolate bar on top of the shortbread. Pop it into the oven for 1-2 minutes, or until you can visibly see the chocolate beginning to melt. Please keep an eye on it, as the chocolate may melt quickly.
- Remove from the oven.
- Remove the marshmallow slab from the tin or container. Place one of the shortbread squares or rectangles on top and cut around so you have the perfect-size marshmallow for the shortbread. Continue with the rest of the assembly.
- Once all the components are ready, sandwich them together. Drizzle any excess chocolate on top.
- Enjoy immediately!
NOTE: These are best enjoyed fresh! If you store your s’mores in the fridge to eat on the following day, note that they will harden, so make sure you bring them back to room temperature before serving.
Makes: 6 s'mores
Nutritional Information (1 s'more):
- Calories: 360
- Fat: 37.3g
- Saturated Fat: 25g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- Salt: 141mg
- Carbs: 10.3g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Sugar: 0.1g
- Protein: 6.6g
Subscribe to our Recipe Lab newsletter for delicious recipes delivered to your inbox weekly!