Paleo Stuffed Acorn Squash
Start to Finish: 60 minutes (20 minutes active)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or grass-fed ghee, plus more for greasing
- 1 medium acorn or delicata squash, sliced in half lengthwise with seeds removed
- 6 ounces pastured ground pork
- 2 slices pastured bacon, finely diced
- 1 leek, trimmed with outer leaves removed, finely sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- One 5-centimeter knob of ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground fennel seeds
- Parsley, green onions and lime wedges to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a roasting pan with parchment paper and lightly grease it with avocado oil or ghee.
- Place squash flesh side down on the baking tray. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until just softened, then remove.
- Prepare the filling while squash bakes. Heat a wide saucepan on medium heat and add avocado oil or ghee.
- Add bacon and crisp for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add leeks, rosemary, ginger and fennel seeds. Cook until leeks are just softened, about 5 minutes.
- Place ground pork in the pan, breaking up with a spoon or spatula. Cook until no longer pink but still moist, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place squash halves fresh side up, then spoon the meat mixture into each half. Meanwhile, set your oven to broil.
- Return stuffed acorn squash to the oven and broil for 3-5 minutes, or until lightly brown and crisped on top. Watch closely so meat and squash do not burn.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with green onions, parsley, and lime wedges.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
- Calories: 448.5
- Protein: 28.3g
- Carbs: 29g
- Fiber: 7.7g
- Sugar: 3.7g
- Net Carbs: 21.2g
- Fat: 30.5g
- Saturated Fat: 9.1g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 13.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 82.5mg
- Salt: 330.8mg
- Potassium: 1055.2mg
- Vitamin A: 1409.5mg
- Vitamin C: 22.2mg
- Calcium: 111.9mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Zinc: 2.5mg