Paleo Spaghetti Squash With Meat Sauce
- 1 large or 2 small spaghetti squashes
- 2-4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1/2 pound 80/20 grass-fed ground beef
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Grass-Fed Ghee, divided
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 14 ounces tomato passata in a glass jar, or chopped peeled tomatoes (canned, BPA-free)
- A small handful of fresh basil and flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Slice the ends off your squash, then cut in half lengthwise and use a spoon to remove seeds and stringy parts.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper or foil. Rub 1/2 tablespoon of ghee on the greaseproof paper to avoid sticking. Scatter the rosemary sprigs on top of the tray where squash will rest, then place the squash halves flesh side down on top of the rosemary. Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes, or until tender.
- While squash roasts, prepare the meat sauce. In a wide saucepan on medium heat, add remaining ghee and swirl to coat the pan. When the pan has heated, add leeks and saute for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the ground beef and dried herbs. Brown the meat for a few minutes, breaking it up with a spoon or spatula.
- Add the tomato passata or chopped tomatoes. Bring the sauce to a slight boil, then reduce to a light simmer. Allow sauce to stew for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the squash from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Using a fork, scrape away at the flesh to separate the strands.
- Divide the squash between two plates and top with meat sauce. Garnish with a scattering of fresh basil, parsley, thinly sliced scallion and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Season to taste with salt.
Makes: Serves 2
Nutritional Information (Per Serving):
- Calories: 443
- Protein: 34.9g
- Carbs: 37.6g
- Net Carbs: 29.9g
- Fiber: 7.5g
- Sugar: 18.4g
- Fat: 36g
- Saturated Fat: 14.1g
- Polyunsaturated: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated: 15.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 124.4mg
- Salt: 235.8mg
- Potassium: 771.4mg
- Vitamin A: 1462.7mg
- Vitamin C: 17.6mg
- Vitamin E: 2.2mg
- Vitamin K: 45.5ug
- Calcium: 123.3mg
- Iron: 5.1mg
- Zinc: 7.8mg