Creamy Paleo Onion Gravy
Start to Finish: 45 minutes
- 5 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 7 tablespoons Grass-Fed Ghee, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup bone broth, pasture-raised
- 2 teaspoons dried herbs, such as thyme
- 2 - 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 scoops Collagelatin
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup leftover pastured meat juices and fats (optional but highly recommended)
- Heat a large saucepan on medium heat, add half of the butter, and allow to melt.
- Add onions and fry until they start to caramelize and become golden brown.
- Add the remaining ghee to the pan, place the lid on the saucepan, and allow the onions to continue cooking. Remove the lid and stir every few minutes so onions don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Once onions have caramelized and turn a darker golden brown color, add bone broth, herbs, salt, apple cider vinegar (start with 2 tsp), and leftover meat juices if you have them. Stir and return the lid to the pan. Reduce heat to a simmer. The more the onions caramelize, the better the flavor for the gravy.
- Add onion mixture to a high powered blender (or use an immersion blender) and add Collagelatin. Blend until the mixture is completely lump-free, then taste and add more apple cider vinegar if needed to balance the flavor.
- If onion gravy tastes a little too sweet, return it to the saucepan and continue cooking. If desired, you can cook it down more to intensify its flavors.
- Pour onion gravy into a gravy boat and serve with your choice of vegetables and meat.
Makes: Serves 13
Nutritional Information (Per Serving - 3 Tablespoons):
- Calories: 80
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated Fat: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Salt: 277mg
- Carbs: 4.2g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Net Carbs: 3.3g
- Protein: 2.1g
- Vitamin D: 0mcg
- Calcium: 10mg
- Iron: 0mg
- Potassium: 73mg