Paleo Fall Salad With Butternut Squash, Bacon and Kale
Start to Finish: 45 minutes
- 1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon Grass-Fed Ghee, plus more for greasing
- 4 slices pastured bacon
- 6 cups kale or bok choy
- 2 large leeks, washed and sliced thinly
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig, leaves removed and finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and grease with ghee or fat of choice.
- Add butternut squash and rosemary to the tray. Toss in 1 tablespoon of ghee, making sure every slice is coated.
- Place in the middle shelf and bake for 40 minutes or until golden.
- While squash roasts, cook the bacon and greens. In a wide saucepan on a medium heat, add bacon and cook until lightly crisp and fat renders (about 3 minutes). Flip and continue cooking on the opposite side. Remove bacon and set aside.
- In the same pan with the rendered bacon grease, saute the leeks for 5 minutes until softened. Add kale to the pan and cook for 3 minutes, or until soft. Remove from the heat.
- Remove the squash from the oven.
- Plate squash slices and top with the kale, leeks, and bacon. Season to taste.
Makes: Serves 2
Nutritional Information (Per Serving):
- Calories: 348
- Protein: 12.9g
- Carbs: 60.1g
- Fiber: 16.6g
- Sugar: 12.7g
- Net Carbs: 43.2g
- Fat: 13.7g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated: 1.93g
- Monounsaturated: 7.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 5.3mg
- Sodium: 453.1mg
- Vitamin A: 52012.9mg
- Potassium: 1560.2mg
- Vitamin C: 130.2mg
- Vitamin K: 390.4ug
- Calcium: 292.6mg
- Iron: 5mg
- Zinc: 0.91mg