Crispy Keto Cauliflower Tots
Start to Finish: 25 minutes
- 2 heaping cups riced cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced chives or spring onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large pastured egg
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk
- 1-2 tablespoons almond flour or coconut flour (almond recommended), divided
- Pastured lard or tallow for shallow frying
Note on ingredients: Cauliflower can be moderately high in oxalates — a type of antinutrient that can cause muscle pain, kidney stones, or thyroid imbalances. To reduce oxalates, enjoy cauliflower rice steamed with cooking water drained. Psyllium husk can irritate your gut, so avoid eating it too often.
- In a bowl, add riced cauliflower, thyme, chives or spring onion, salt, egg, psyllium husk, and 1 tablespoon of almond flour and mix until evenly combined. If the mixture is still too crumbly, add an additional tablespoon or two of almond flour and mix again.
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat and add enough of your chosen animal fat to shallow fry the cauliflower tots.
- With your hands, roll the mixture into 14-16 bite-sized tots. Don’t be afraid of how delicate they look, since they will firm up more during cooking.
- Place tots into the hot frying pan and cook on all sides until golden and cooked through. Do this step in two batches if needed to give your tots room to get crispy.
- Remove tots from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- Serve tots warm with your favorite homemade condiments.
Makes: 2 servings
Nutritional Information (7 tots):
- Calories: 259
- Protein: 6.3g
- Carbs: 24.5g
- Fiber: 18.2g
- Sugar: 2.8g
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6g
- Cholesterol: 98mg
- Salt: 672mg
- Net Carbs: 6.3g
- Vitamin D: 7mcg
- Calcium: 77mg
- Potassium: 350mg