Keto Apple Pie
This Bulletproof-backed mock apple pie is the perfect keto-friendly alternative to the real thing!
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp Lakanto Brown Monkfruit Sweetener
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- ¼ cup Bulletproof Grass-Fed Ghee
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Streusel Topping Ingredients
- ½ cup pecans (halves and pieces)
- 2 Bulletproof Vanilla Shortbread Collagen Protein Bar
- 2 tsp Lakanto Brown Monkfruit Sweetener
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp Bulletproof Grass-Fed Ghee
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum and sweetener. Add the ghee, egg and vanilla. Mix to form a dough. Shape it into a disk.
- Wrap it in plastic wrap and chill in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the chilled dough on a piece of parchment paper on a flat surface. Use a rolling pin to roll it out about ¼-inch thick. Carefully pick up the sheet of parchment with the dough and place it into the pie dish. Peel away the parchment. Fit the dough into the dish, shaping the pie crust and crimp/pinch the edges.
- Use a fork to poke holes into the bottom of the crust. Par-bake the crust for 10-12 minutes.
Filling and Streusel Topping Instructions
- While the crust bakes, make the filling. In a large pan, melt ½ tablespoon of ghee over medium heat. Cook the cubed chayote squash for about 15 minutes to soften, stirring occasionally.
- In a small dish, whisk together the monk fruit sweetener, Collagelatin and xanthan gum. Stir the mixture into the squash, then add 1 tablespoon of ghee and the remaining spices.
- Simmer the mixture for 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla and lemon juice. Set the filling aside to cool for a few minutes and make the streusel topping.
- Place all of the streusel ingredients in a blender or food processor. Pulse several times to roughly chop.
- Pour the pie filling into the par-baked crust.
- Crumble the streusel on top of the filling. Transfer the pie dish back into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 30 minutes if serving warm, or until room temperature. The filling will thicken as it cools.
- Slice the pie, dig in with loved ones and enjoy!
- Calories: 520
- Fat: 36 g
- Protein: 12 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sugar Alcohols: 22 g
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Net Carbs: 7 g
- Sodium: 123 mg