Cardamom Ginger Bone Marrow Broth
Start to Finish: 12-24 hours (10 minutes active)
- 3 1/4 pounds pastured beef marrow bones
- 12 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 5 cloves of garlic
Cardamom ginger bone marrow broth ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups prepared bone marrow broth base
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- A squeeze of lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare bone marrow broth base first. Place bones, apple cider vinegar, salt, and water in a large pot or slow cooker and simmer on a low temperature for 12-24 hours. The longer you leave it, the more minerals and gelatin will leach from the bones.
- Two hours before you decide to complete cooking, add all remaining base ingredients and continue cooking for two hours to infuse flavors.
- Remove broth from heat. Strain out bones and fragments, and store the liquid in jars. Refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze after cooling completely.
- Use the broth base for soups and meals, or prepare cardamom ginger broth: Add all ingredients to a small saucepan and gently heat until warmed, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into a mug and add a squeeze of lemon. Serve warm.
Makes: Serves 1
Nutritional Information (per serving):
- Calories: 451
- Fat: 11.2g
- Salt: 3082mg
- Carbs: 57.1g
- Fiber: 11.5g
- Sugar: 11.2g
- Protein: 66.3g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- Potassium: 1700mg
- Vitamin D: 0mcg
- Calcium: 5mg
- Iron: 1mg