Mochi Recipe: How to Make Mochi at Home
Start to Finish: 10 hours (2 hours active)
- 3 cups sweet white rice
- Potato starch, as needed
- 3 teaspoons matcha powder or 3 teaspoons cacao powder (optional)
- 1 capsule saccharomyces boulardii (optional)
- 2 teaspoons of sugar (optional)
- Pinch of Himalayan salt (optional)
- Up to 4 tablespoons Brain Octane Oil (optional)
- Sake to taste (optional)
- Place rice in a large metal sieve and rinse lightly.
- Add rinsed rice to a large bowl. Add yeast and sugar (if using) on top of the rice. Pour enough water over your rice to fully cover, mix to incorporate sugar and yeast, and soak overnight.
- After soaking, drain rice. (Do not rinse.) In a steamer basket covered with cheesecloth, add rice and steam for 30-45 minutes or until rice is just tender.
- Using a mortar and pestle or high-powered stand mixer, grind and pound the rice vigorously until it becomes a smooth paste. (If using a mortar and pestle, you may need to work in batches.) Add matcha or cacao powder to rice (if using) before you pound it. If the rice becomes too sticky or begins to dry out as you pound it, just add a teaspoon of water or sake as needed. If desired, add up to 4 tablespoons of Brain Octane for better consistency.
- When rice has been pounded into a smooth and lump-free dough, prepare your work surface. Sprinkle the area generously with potato starch. Making sure your hands are completely dry, coat your hands in potato starch. Work your dough onto the work surface and lightly knead it, using potato starch as needed, until your dough is no longer sticky to the touch.
- Divide mochi into 7 two-inch pieces and roll into balls using potato starch on the surface to keep it from sticking.
- Serve immediately or eat within 24 hours. To save mochi for later, store in an airtight container in the freezer.
Makes: Serves 7
Nutritional Information (Per Serving):
- Calories: 72
- Protein: 1.5g
- Carbs: 15.7g
- Fiber: .8g
- Sugar: 0g
- Sugar Alcohols: 0g
- Net Carbs: 14.9g
- Fat: .1g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Salt: 4mg
- Potassium: 7mg
- Calcium: 1mg
- Iron: 0mg