Dairy-Free Pesto with Collagen Protein
Start to Finish: 5 minutes
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and any green pieces removed
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves, firmly packed
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup Bulletproof Collagen Protein powder
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp. water (optional)
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the garlic, salt and pepper a few times. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the basil leaves, pine nuts, Collagen Protein powder and lemon juice. Pulse about 10 times, until the basil leaves have started to break up, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- With the motor running, pour the olive oil into the basil mixture in a slow stream, allowing it to come together as a sauce. You may need to scrape down the sides once or twice to ensure all of the basil is incorporated.
- Once the basil is finely chopped and all of the oil is incorporated, taste the pesto. Add more salt if desired to enhance flavor, and water if you prefer a thinner basil.
The green “stem” that grows inside garlic cloves is what causes a bitter taste. Before placing the garlic in the food processor, cut the garlic cloves in half lengthwise to remove any green parts hiding inside the cloves.
Makes: 8 servings
Nutritional Information (2 Tbsp.):
- Calories: 157
- Protein: 4g
- Carbs: 2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 0g
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Salt: 150mg